• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faux Buttonholes on Jacket Cuff

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped off a suit at the tailor yesterday and he has to take the sleeves up. Right now the sleeves have the stitching behind the buttons to make it look like there is an actual button hole. I almost know he is going to unstitch all of the fake button holes and then just re position the buttons.

Should I raise a fuss and demand he put the stitching back? At this point, I'm ambivalent as to which I prefer.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Well, you definitely shouldn't wait until he does it then raise a fuss. If you have a preference, tell him in advance. If you don't, then don't worry about it.
If you're truly ambivalent, then there's probably no point in making him do the extra work.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just seeing what everyone else's preferences were. Is it standard to unstitch the buttons? Is my tailor just lazy? I'm sure he hasn't done it yet, if I think they should be kept then I'll call him up and see if they haven't been done yet.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I think it probably depends on the jacket (sorry, I know "it depends" isn't the most helpful response). On a fairly plain jacket, I think the stitching helps keep the buttons from looking like they're just the useless appendages they really are. On something like a tweed or pow, I think it tends not to matter because the stitching would just be lost in the pattern anyway.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is an H&M charcoal suit. I think I'll call him up tomorrow and tell him to keep the buttons on. What if he tries to charge me extra for them? I think he would only need to do one buttonhole anyways.

Also, I would think that is just standard to keep the buttonhole stitches.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He should provide faux button holes.

Do not fall into the American trap of demanding 'working' button holes in an RTW jacket or low end MTM. That looks so false it is not real.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
in shortening the sleeves the buttons may end up too close to the bottom.
the usual procedure is to remove all the buttons and reset them at the proper distance from the bottom. this is fine except this coat false buttonholes.
he would not be able to match the thread color or texture.
the false holes were made by a special machine. he could not match by hand.
if he were to make a complete new set of faux buttonholes of his own style
then you would owe him a good deal more money. standard sleeve shortening
includes moveing buttons but not makeing new buttonholes.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
in shortening the sleeves the buttons may end up too close to the bottom.
the usual procedure is to remove all the buttons and reset them at the proper distance from the bottom. this is fine except this coat false buttonholes.
he would not be able to match the thread color or texture.
the false holes were made by a special machine. he could not match by hand.
if he were to make a complete new set of faux buttonholes of his own style
then you would owe him a good deal more money. standard sleeve shortening
includes moveing buttons but not makeing new buttonholes.

Is it customary to shorten the sleeves from the shoulders, so the sleeve cuffs stays the same? I brought a couple of sportscoat to a tailor and that's what he's been doing. He's also charging me more for it. Thanks, if you could enlighten me with this detail.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maharlika;449921 said:
Is it customary to shorten the sleeves from the shoulders, so the sleeve cuffs stays the same? I brought a couple of sportscoat to a tailor and that's what he's been doing. He's also charging me more for it. Thanks, if you could enlighten me with this detail.[/QUOT

shortening from the to costs a good deal more thats true.
but its the only way to handle real buttonholes, or to maintain the original faux buttonholes.
ask him the price for makeing 8 new faux buttonholes plus shortening the sleeves .
it just may cost as much as shortening from the top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads