• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake armani suit?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dentist is on Ocean Avenue, just north of M. If I drop by after a cleaning, do you have the ties on display at your store?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, please, please could be advertise the forum, if just to provide a line of defense against these types of sellers? I have seen more blatant fakes of Versace and D&G, but never such a blatantly fake Armani. It's as if the manufacturer didn't even bother to buy a real Armani for reference, and just did the labels from (an apparently very faulty) memory. And what is Lanifico Armani? I didn't realize that Armani was getting into the fabric business. And the suggested retail prices of his other stuff seem to be pulled directly out his ass. None of his stuff looks newer than the early nineties, and I am sure a lot of it comes from the 80's. Fine if you are looking to do a museum retrospective. Not so great otherwise.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, please, please could be advertise the forum, if just to provide a line of defense against these types of sellers?  I have seen more blatant fakes of Versace and D&G, but never such a blatantly fake Armani.  It's as if the manufacturer didn't even bother to buy a real Armani for reference, and just did the labels from (an apparently very faulty) memory.  And what is Lanifico Armani?  I didn't realize that Armani was getting into the fabric business.  And the suggested retail prices of his other stuff seem to be pulled directly out his ass.  None of his stuff looks newer than the early nineties, and I am sure a lot of it comes from the 80's.  Fine if you are looking to do a museum retrospective.  Not so great otherwise.
Beyond the label, what else ought one look for. Also, at this price point, is there enough profit to make the "fake" business worth it? I mean much of his stuff sells for considerably under $100.00. It would seem easier to buy new cheap suits and pawn then off as an authentic name brand and sell for several hundred each.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is very likely that he picked up the fake Armani from a thrift store, and either didn't realize it's fake, or doesn't care.

What I find amusing is that this seller uses several lines that are straight out of the auctions of ebay seller couture2u (formerly pcevans(at)gte.net,) who it seems has finally been chased off ebay. There must either be some affiliation, or else lovedesignersclothes stole the text from the wrong seller..

regularjoe

Reaction score
Beyond the label, what else ought one look for.  Also, at this price point, is there enough profit to make the "fake" business worth it?  I mean much of his stuff sells for considerably under $100.00.   It would seem easier to buy new cheap suits and pawn then off as an authentic name brand and sell for several hundred each.
For me, I never looked past the label. My eye isn't good enough to look at silhouettes and say, "A ha, Armani."

So far as I know, Armani's labels look thusly:

Mani in simple text on white background.
Emporio Armani in simple text on white background. I think the logo is on it as well.
Armani Collezioni in simple text on white background.
Giorgio Armani in simple text on black background, Bourgounovo(sp?) and address in Italy may appear as well.
Giorgio Armani in simple text on dark, dark blue background with Classico below it.

Nothing as garish as on the suit. Plus he was trying to sell it for ~$350.

aybojs

Reaction score
If you look at the auction link, it seems that the seller ended it early, so the suit is no longer for sale. I assume Thracozaag's e-mail had something to do with it (I'd be amused to see the correspondence if so)

As for telling it's fake, I think the point here was that the labels and tags were just so grossly inaccurate that really all it took to tell it was a fake was just having seen a real Armani tag before. I don't really know enough to distinguish well-done fakes on eBay, but even I could to tell something was up with that suit.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they should hire a group of us to be "Ebay Fakes in fine clothing" inspectors.
confused.gif
koji

shoefan

Reaction score
The other amuxing element of this fake was the "Lanificio Armani" label inside the jacket. I know Armani is into many things, but weaving cloth isn't one of them.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the auction link, it seems that the seller ended it early, so the suit is no longer for sale. Â I assume Thracozaag's e-mail had something to do with it (I'd be amused to see the correspondence if so)
Dammit, Thracozaag -- it was just my size.....
smile.gif

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of AX, EA suit design.  But in Armani Colleczioni or Armani Black line, there some distinct design pattern mr. armani uses.

in those upper Armani labels, jackets pockets are always flap-less.  I cannot remember last time Armani made his suits with flap.

Thats the one this i can tell if the Armani suits selling on ebay is real or fake..

If this test passes .. then I need to look at inside jacket for stichings etc ..

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they should hire a group of us to be  "Ebay Fakes in fine clothing" inspectors.
confused.gif
koji
I am impressed that folk were able to know enough to spot the fake just from the labels. As a rank amateur when it comes to identifying top quality clothing and separating it from the fake goods, I certainly would otherwise have been sucked in were I in the market for Armani. Accordingly, maybe doing a sticky on fakes and counterfeits and including sellers for whom this seems to be an issue would be a great idea. (Not to impose on the knowledgeable, but thanks in advance if this is done.)

regularjoe

Reaction score
I am impressed that folk were able to know enough to spot the fake just from the labels.  As a rank amateur when it comes to identifying top quality clothing and separating it from the fake goods, I certainly would otherwise have been sucked in were I in the market for Armani.
I would think it's easier to spot a fake from the label than anything else as that should be the easiest thing to "fake" so to speak.

It's the folks who can look identify whether a suit is full canvas and/or the maker at a glance that is truly impressive (a la James Bond).

MikeF

Reaction score
in those upper Armani labels, jackets pockets are always flap-less. I cannot remember last time Armani made his suits with flap.

Simply not true. I have an Armani Collezioni suit from this season and an Armani Classico suit from a season or two ago that both have "flapped" outside pockets. The former is from Holt Renfrew; the latter is from Barneys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads