• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Transplant

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently heard a very detailed scientific presentation by the inventors of this surgery. Their technical skill and devotion to patient care is incredible. Compound tissue transplants are quite complex, but many of the protocols, especially those concerning rejection, evolved from kidney and liver transplantation. The inventors chose hand and facial reconstruction because these parts of the body are so central to self-identity, social functioning, and expressivity. I saw videos of hand transplant patients threading needles and other very fine motor skills. It's just amazing. The process takes quite a while--muscle tone takes a long time to develop. It's very moving to hear patients talk about getting their lives back, being able to look in the mirror, being able to go out in public, smile, etc.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I'm sorry I just opened up the link and saw the picture and started dying laughing. I haven't read the article yet. I am sure I will think I am a terrible person in a few minutes but I just wanted to report this before hand in case anyone was confused.
Yes, she looks like a ******. This is an improvement regardless: http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090506/c...1HXMokkYPWdw-- I see a lot of people with missing faces here begging, I think if something like that happened to me, I'd probably just wear a metal plate on my face and become a crime lord. If you can't be handsome, be cool or something.
Originally Posted by why
Whatever. Some people are just more naive.
I know. You and I both know that he has to shoot her in the face because he loves her.

marin

Reaction score
Remarkable, incredible, amazing. Clearly this will be invaluable to this patient and others in the future.

More generally, I don't understand why doctors are judged harshly by the press or the public. There are few people who can regularly have such a fundamental, positive impact on an individual's life.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Yes, she looks like a ******.

This is an improvement regardless: http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090506/c...1HXMokkYPWdw--

I see a lot of people with missing faces here begging, I think if something like that happened to me, I'd probably just wear a metal plate on my face and become a crime lord. If you can't be handsome, be cool or something.

I know. You and I both know that he has to shoot her in the face because he loves her.

You see beggers on the streets of Korea without faces??

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You see beggers on the streets of Korea without faces??

I'm stuck in Beijing for the time being, but yeah. It's pretty sad, they're either burn or explosion victims, missing limbs, face is all scar tissue, no nose, no ears. You have to get used to looking at them and not freaking out.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sad yet remarkable. You can only imagine what they will be able to do within the next decade or so.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is nothing 'special' about face transplant surgery per se. The techniques are standard reconstructive surgery. The main issues revolved around the psychological effects, the immunosuppressive complications and the ethical conundrum.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Maybe she will look "normal" soon.
Although it is not common yet and this is the first US case, the procedure has been used in several countries. See a history here. Based on those examples, she might look "normal" in the end. For example, this is the very first face transplant (a partial face transplant, in France in 2005): Pre-op:
dinoireneupa_DW_Wis_264029a.jpg
Post-op (left photo just after the operation, right photo one year later after having fully recovered):
1.jpg
Originally Posted by philosophe
I recently heard a very detailed scientific presentation by the inventors of this surgery.
Bernard Devauchelle and Jean-Michel Dubernard? I heard they are great guys indeed.

needler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
There is nothing 'special' about face transplant surgery per se. The techniques are standard reconstructive surgery.

The techniques of a Monet are standard painting with brushes. They're still 'special'. It's not about the tools you use, it's about how you use them.

Microsurgery may be "standard surgery", but there is a tiny bit more thought and artistry involved in how you transplant a face than throwing a TRAM into a boob.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
There is nothing 'special' about face transplant surgery per se. The techniques are standard reconstructive surgery. The main issues revolved around the psychological effects, the immunosuppressive complications and the ethical conundrum.

Is that why they could do the first transplant only 4 years ago?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will find that the many people had been planning to do the 'first' face transplant for many years now. One surgeon in the UK spent many years trying to get ethical approval for it and still hasn't got it.

Yes, there is more to a face transplant than the single pedicle microanastomosis of a TRAM/DIEP or most other free flaps really, I never said that the two were equivalent. My point was that it wasn't really the surgery itself that was the limiting factor - the microanastomosis of vessels, nerves and the craniofacial work is standard reconstructive surgery. Doing it all in one setting is a major undertaking, but not impossible even say ten or fifteen years ago. Availability of donors, consenting patients on psychological issues and the commitment to life long immunosuppression and getting past the ethical hurdles has always been the greater barrier to performing face transplants.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Bernard Devauchelle and Jean-Michel Dubernard? I heard they are great guys indeed.

Dubernard (who is just amazing--surgeon, mayor, parliamentarian!) and Laurent Lantieri.

Lucky7

Reaction score
What an amazing accomplishment! God bless her, I couldn't imagine that happening to anyone that I cared about. I give her a lot of credit for going through this grueling process.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jawlines can be improved with surgery. Her problem there now is mostly due to swelling, according to TV news stories. She's expected to look fairly normal with time and other operations. Her husband (ex-husband now?) who shot her and himself in the head somehow seems to have recovered cosmetically from his injuries. Her attitude seems great, yes. She told a story about confronting a scared child and explaining what happened to her. Evidently she's quite even-tempered, which perhaps made her a good candidate for the operation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads