• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experiencing Life

div25sec9

Reaction score
I love this forum and all, but many times I find it frustrating. For many people it seems to have become a replacement to experiencing life. Every few minutes, there is a thread started asking for opinions from others. "What cologne should I buy?", "Should I get a watch with a white or black face?", "should I wear boxers or briefs?", etc. Many people seem to forget that there is a world of professionals out there who get paid to assist and some things you just need to experience.

If you are wondering if your jacket fits right, go to a good tailor and he'll tell you. He will also alter it as needed.
If you want to know what fragrances might fit your style, go to the counter and ask. You'll also be able to smell them and decide which one you like.
If you want to know what watch would work best for you. Ask the dealer. He'll tell you what works for your needs and budget. He'll also let you try them on to see what size works best for you.
Unless its a funeral, your wedding, or a super important business meeting or interview, go ahead and take a chance on wearing that clothing combo you were thinking of. Develop your own style. The worst thing that can happen is you'll have a great story.
If you need to decide between boxers and briefs. Go buy one one each. If you're feeling all out of control, you might need the briefs!

...any others think the same way I do, or am I off?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, there certainly is a bigger picture to life.

What you're saying is true..............but also requires effort - something which most people are not willing to put forth.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are wondering if your jacket fits right, go to a good tailor and he'll tell you. He will also alter it as needed.

That is true, but he will only offer one opinion. Here you get many opinions not only about the fit of the suit.

In principle, this should be a forum dedicated only to discussing style and clothing, but it is a fact of nature you get many diversions from the original concept.

Many members here would agree they prefer not to see so many of these "fit" or "like my suit" threads. It would be like a thread F = MA on a physics forum composed of post graduate researchers where such trivial notions were dispelled in high school.

However, given that people are of radically different levels, then advanced, beginner, intermediate level, and trivial topics will inevitably crop up.

Unless its a funeral, your wedding, or a super important business meeting or interview, go ahead and take a chance on wearing that clothing combo you were thinking of. Develop your own style.

That is pretty much a key component of this forum - you should check out the WAYWRN thread to see people trying out various ensembles. If people are serious, as many no doubt are, then the point is to encourage others to not only develop their own styles, but also styles that suit them.

Rest of your commentary is of no consequence, this is an internet forum and if you belong to others, you will realise this is par for the course.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Members of this forum usually have no financial interest in selling you a particular kind of watch or suit or whatever, regardless if it fits you well or not.

But in general I totally agree with you ... more real life and real pleasures, less virtual sex
devil.gif

lostron

Reaction score
i think many people come here to develop their styles and learn more about men's clothing. But there is a segment that just seems to ask the most ridiculous questions that will not add any value or arguing between brands or fit. SF serves as a great place to learn the basics so you know which question to ask a tailor, dealer, etc.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asking the salesperson isn't always the best idea. Their goal is to make a sale (which is how I ended up with a men's wearhouse monstrosity as my first suit).

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if the saleman isn't just trying to sell you something he may have different ideas of what is right then you do.

You need to wear the thing not the saleman/tailor/designer.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe the whole idea of this (SF) is to interact with others about opinions and style preferences from actual users and not just salespeople or tailors. It is free and everyone can register to voice their thoughts - so why not?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Asking the salesperson isn't always the best idea. Their goal is to make a sale (which is how I ended up with a men's wearhouse monstrosity as my first suit).

Asking a salesperson is one of the worst ideas when shopping - right below asking your wife/gf/mother on the list.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Members of this forum usually have no financial interest in selling you a particular kind of watch or suit or whatever, regardless if it fits you well or not.

But in general I totally agree with you ... more real life and real pleasures, less virtual sex
devil.gif
+100..... Don't know about USA but in Australia as soon as you enter into a store the shop assistants will stick to your a$$ like glue. Only 2 department stores here you can roam free. TBH in these days if you want to stay on top of your clothing and things you must do your home work and then narrow it down to few then walk into stores. This internet research saves time and and also money .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads