• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Sneaker For The Average Joe?

Netpreneur

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I've owned three pairs of shoes; running shoes, dress shoes, and leather flip-flops. As a father going on 32, I'm just now starting to get enough free time to care enough about style. After doing some research and taking into account my own comfort level, I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest in a pair of desert boots, boat shoes, and possibly bucks.

But the one thing I can't seem to figure out is the whole sneaker and jean thing, which I suppose should be the easiest, most basic element of style. I'm looking for a sneaker that I can wear every day, whether it be running errands in a t-shirt, or dressing it up just a bit with a button-down or sweater. Since I work from home and own my business, I'd be wearing this sneaker 90% of the time. So basically, it should be age-appropriate, comfortable, and go with just about every color.

I'm not big on loafers (remind me of my grandfather), and Converse are also out (for whatever reason, to me they just look like children's shoes).

Some options I'm considering so far include:

New Balance - Where's the line between looking stylish and looking like Seinfeld when it comes to these?
Nike SB - Too white for winter?
Nike Toki - These don't excite me much, but they're simple.
Adidas Stan Smith - These seem to be highly recommended in forum posts from years ago, but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about them anymore, and I wonder if they would even fit my more athletic build. It also seems like people aren't wearing white sneakers as much anymore?
Adidas Superstar 2 - I used to wear these over a decade ago. Not sure if that alone should be a reason to scare me away from these, or if that simply speaks to a timeless design?
Sperry Striper CVO Wool - Does the wool make these inappropriate for summer? I imagine navy goes with just about anything?

Thoughts on any of these? Am I on the right track here? Any other recommendations?

TheObserver

Reaction score
Base on the price range of your choices, I recommend Kent Wang sneakers.

StyleForum has high standard so don't freak out when most people favor $300+ sneakers.

Last edited:

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Kent Wang sneakers on this forum but don't know if they are comfy, for that i would pick the Stans over them.

The latest Stans are still as popular as ever.

sepp

Reaction score
I am in my early forties with Converse sneakers LOL!

But seriously, I like the look of those all white Common Projects though haven't had the chance to try nor buy a pair.

Netpreneur

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to do a bit of research on these.

I also wonder, since these types of sneakers (Stan Smiths, CP, etc.) appear very long and narrow visually, do people with larger feet still look OK in them? I wear a size 12.5 U.S.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to do a bit of research on these.

I also wonder, since these types of sneakers (Stan Smiths, CP, etc.) appear very long and narrow visually, do people with larger feet still look OK in them? I wear a size 12.5 U.S.

I have the same size as you, except ultra flat and wide. Big feet are going to be big feet. I've found that as long as the profile of your shoe isn't chunky, they won't look like clown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads