• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire September 2006

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Thoughts?

style_15.jpg
style_16.jpg

In both cases I would wear them but only with different trousers.

1. I don't wear jeans. But I already have that coat and wear it with trousers, shirt, and tie all the time.

2. Again, I prefer a pair of dressier yet casual trousers. And I might tone down the sweater a little. But not much. Yes, a check would be better (if paired with a more subdued sweater).

As for those others that AlanC posted: I wouldn't wear any of them. The first two look too outdoorsy for me and the second two are just...ugh, those blue trousers are horrible. And I don't like red on me. Besides, that just looks off with the monochromatic base.

bob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
How about:

taopenkk0.jpg

ta0291yr8.jpg

ta0311my4.jpg

Where are these images from? They are terrible, particularly the tucked-in sweater. That red quilted jacket is also rather...hmmm, can't think of a good word here...Gap-ish, perhaps.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I think that woven ties can work well with jacket and jeans. I think the flat bottom woven ties are making a come back and are casual enough to look appropriate with jeans.

good point, I think thin-ish woven ties look good with jeans as well. Your standard businessman silk tie is going to look very odd with jeans, no matter how 'dressy' a pair you've got on.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Where are these images from? They are terrible, particularly the tucked-in sweater. That red quilted jacket is also rather...hmmm, can't think of a good word here...Gap-ish, perhaps.
Hmmm. Not Gap. I'm enjoying the responses, though.
laugh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Not Gap. I'm enjoying the responses, though.
laugh.gif

No, those photos and that style is definitely not the GAP. The garments are high quality, and the ensembles remarkably uninspired. I would guess Paul Stuart or Ben Silver, or one of those shops where old guys who wear their trousers high and ***** and moan about young people shop.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uninspired is the right word. I didn't think the clothes came from the Gap; it is the look of these advertising images. But the Gap isn't right, they have more of a K-Mart sense of color coordination.

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
Gah.

I guess I'm just not a fan of bright colours. I hate the look of that orange sweater in the second look.

The first one is not bad, though I'd only keep the jacket/shoes/jeans and change the colours of the shirt/cardigan/tie.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
No, those photos and that style is definitely not the GAP. The garments are high quality, and the ensembles remarkably uninspired. I would guess Paul Stuart or Ben Silver, or one of those shops where old guys who wear their trousers high and ***** and moan about young people shop.
LOL

LA Guy has a good eye, but not quite right. They're from Turnbull & Asser's sites.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

LA Guy has a good eye, but not quite right. They're from Turnbull & Asser's sites.

Yeah, figures. Luciano Barbera (not Luciano Barbera as seen through Neiman Marcus eyes) could have pulled this off. Turnbull & Asser, not so much. In the States, probably the only store I've seen do this type of thing nearly perfectly is Bergdorfs, and to a lesser degree, Louis Boston (although they often have to throw in something like a Dries van Noten cracked blue leather peacoat (oh, how I longed for that piece) to make the look work) and Wilkes Bashford (but they often put such ensembles in remarkable window displays that dazzle the eye - the ensembles inside the store are not nearly as visually arresting. Ron Herman does great riffs off this theme (say, a Margiela wrinkled Safari jacket, a crumpled blue and pink checked shirt under a really beautiful chestnut v-neck, some really slim mid-grey flannels, and Chucks), but Angelenos can do that thrown together, nothing really coherent, look the way New Yorkers can only dream of (even when a lot of the pieces are by NYC based designers!)

uslexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I agree with Mike C. abou the first look, but I don't like the second look either. I find the outfit undersaturated in color, and lacking in visual interest. Either they have to throw in more contrasting colors or a clashing color in there (the orange/red sweater is not striking enough to really be the accent piece), or it needs a pattern. I would for both.

Substitute a chocolate sportcoat with a windowpane pattern, and switch out the sweater with a burnt orange one, and you get a much better (and more seasonal) look, imo.

I personally don't like chinos - have worn jeans since HS, and plan to keep doing so, but I would wear a pair of surplus pants.

I Love the idea of the chocolate sportcoat and the burnt orange. I think I will have to try that look out for myself. I'm not to crazy about the shoes though, would prefer something different but I really like it especially with your suggestions.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uslexus
I Love the idea of the chocolate sportcoat and the burnt orange. I think I will have to try that look out for myself. I'm not to crazy about the shoes though, would prefer something different but I really like it especially with your suggestions.

with you there. the sneakers w/o laces ruins it for me, imo.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that first esquire outfit, but agree the shoes should be more interesting. Since the whole rest of the look is in varying shades of the blac-graphite-grey color spectrum, brown shoes will stand out big time (especially without so much as a brown belt or brown flecks in the overcoat to incorporate the shoes). In such a case, I think you have a responsibility to make the shoes something worth catching peoples' eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads