• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENGLISH CUT London MTM service expereince

Gilbert Young

Reaction score
Dear SF members,

I have just recently joined SF to ask for everyone's experienced advice. I have had quite some good insight on MTM thanks to the extensive posts on here and am in the market for one.

I started looking at the recently online MTMs such as A Suit That Fits, Reiss, Beggars Run, and also Suit Supply, Volpe, Aquascutum. I found all these different offerings quite interesting.

I normally get OTR / RTW with alterations from the likes of Reiss and end up spending usually around £600 to £800 for each 3 2/3 piece suits. My experience even with their alterations is not particularly great imo, especially on their advice on trousers alteration. Luckily, I am almost a perfect UK 40.

Having heard horrendous stories with the likes of ASTF and good stories on Suit Supply, I decided I didn't want my first MTM experience at the entry point end. Looking at Richard James, Crombie, and also Aquascutum (although I could not find much on Aqua) MTM service, that is between the1500 to 2K+ for MTM.

I wanted the 700 to 1200 price point.

I came across ENGLISH CUT of Savile Row.

http://www.englishcut.com/2014/07/29/news/

http://www.themitchelli.com/2014/12/english-cut-a-better-class-of-suit/

Not much info, but emailed them and awaiting the response.

According to them, they launched a MTM service of average £415 with worsted fabric selection. I am considering a MTM service from a company with bespoke background and history of its staff in tailoring such as Crombie, whom I am looking to order a bespoke coat from them (rather than spending 1500 on a full retail Burberry). As you may have gathered from my tone, I am sick of having the options of overpaying fashion brands, whilst being ignorant of traditional textile and clothing attire house.

Like shoes, I have started on Grenson, Barker, and recently Meermin Mallorca, rather last year, I was buying Kirk Gieger and Goex and Tod, Paul Smith.

I was wondering if anyone has experience ENGLISH CUT London and am I actually stuck and dreaming of getting MTM at the 700 to 1200 price point for a 3 piece suit with a good tailoring history company, decent super 120+ pure wool fabric selection, 1K plus, no bank breaking service for a MTM.

Is that price point of MTM even worth going for? Am I stuck with suit supply as my first option? Maybe go for OTR alterations instead with the likes of Hackett or Aquastumun (though I don't like there non-modern looking suit?

It is a shame the likes of Jaeger went flop and only online now with out of date designs, otherwise, I would have stuck with them for their OTR/RTW.

Your advice is much appreciated.

With Thanks,
Gilbert.

Edit, I also just email Aquascutum for pricing structure and info...leaning towards a trusted brand. Looking at A.J.Hewitt, but hey might be 2k range.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English cut as a bespoke tailor is OK but Tom Mahon can be an acquired taste, his former partner Edwin de Boise offers something similar and has the support of his son. I doubt that he would see you for M2M. Who undertakes this activity has not emerged to my knowledge, presumably he has someone who has stayed with him beyond a short period. I doubt that he would put his name and reputation to something poor though.

A Suit that Fits is not good at all. I do know someone who uses them and elegance and fit are not the hall mark of his apparel. The others are unknown to me.

Gilbert Young

Reaction score
English cut as a bespoke tailor is OK but Tom Mahon can be an acquired taste, his former partner Edwin de Boise offers something similar and has the support of his son. I doubt that he would see you for M2M. Who undertakes this activity has not emerged to my knowledge, presumably he has someone who has stayed with him beyond a short period. I doubt that he would put his name and reputation to something poor though.

A Suit that Fits is not good at all. I do know someone who uses them and elegance and fit are not the hall mark of his apparel. The others are unknown to me.

Thanks @GBR . Indeed someone got back to me and I was not expecting TM to be doing all the MTMs, but he did the measurements on his launch. I understand he has operations in Japan (rather than his previous operations in Indian, and like others in Nepal such as ASTF).

"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
I am pleased to be able to let you know that we opened our new store in London last week. It is located at 58 Chiltern Street, W1U 7QZ.
I am travelling today so please allow me until tomorrow to answer your queries in full.
Thank you. I look forward to corresponding with you.
Executive Personal Assistant and Office Manager, Carlisle Office, English Cut - Bespoke Savile Row Tailors"

Looks like a small operation for someone to be in the office to answer one enquiry.

On my radar, but certainly after gaining more experience on 2 more MTM: Cad & The Danny (Full Hand Made) and Ede and Ravenscroft MTM. Right now, I might just pop into Great Marlborough-street next week @Acqa; they have operation in Portugal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads