• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ebel Chrono

jasonsun

Reaction score
What's the general quality of Ebel Auto Chrono in comparison to other Swiss company? Omega/Tag/Rolex.....??

ndsleep612

Reaction score
General quality of Ebel differs drastically. The lower end stuff uses quartz movements, moving up the line are basic ETA movements. They were well known in the fast 80's. The brand recognition isn't strong compared to the 3 brands you mentioned. I do believe that Ebel and Tag are owned by the same parent (LVMH). Stuff is nice, if you know what you want.

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
much of their newer models do have manufacture movements. its a fine watch. if you like em, go for it. but it doesnt do much for the brand whores out there.

willmiz

Reaction score
Great solid watch but if I had to choose from an Ebel 1911 (Which I am assuming you are referring to), speedmaster or daytona I would place the Ebel last. That being said, there is a pretty big price bump between the Ebel and Rolex due to the demand of Daytonas. Either of the three are good values and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend in the end.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get a used Speedmaster over a new Ebel.

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willmiz
Great solid watch but if I had to choose from an Ebel 1911 (Which I am assuming you are referring to), speedmaster or daytona I would place the Ebel last. That being said, there is a pretty big price bump between the Ebel and Rolex due to the demand of Daytonas. Either of the three are good values and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend in the end.

the steel daytona is around 10k last time i checked. its almost impossible to get new, unless you are a big spender and your jewler gives you one of the 5 or so a year he gets. and to get it gray market there is a premium, sometimes higher than full retail. used im not sure.

the gold daytona is 20k + on leather and 30k+ on gold bracelet

so its not really in the same conversation as the ebel. just sayin

jasonsun

Reaction score
I'm debating a Ebel 1911 Chrono vs Bumer Mercier Classima Executive......like both style, just wasn't sure how the two stacks up against each other in terms of quality and value.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is apparent you really like chronographs, but sadly, you are picking chronographs that do not represent anything timeless in the genre. If you really want to get a chronograph that compares to Rolex/TAG/Omega you are going to have to get a more historically relevant piece. I will say that I am no fan of TAG or Omega (excluding the aforementioned Speedmaster and vintage 1960-1970 Seamasters). That said, Willmiz's suggestion of a Speedmaster is an excellent one and truly a piece worth owning. If you like square faced watches, a TAG Heur Monaco chronograph is laudable. People will certainly recognize a Daytona and while it is a great watch, I would rather buy a pre-owned Vacheron Constantin Overseas for that kind of cash.

To get more to your question: The quality is that of the many watch brands. They include reworked ETA movements and hold their value relatively poorly. Some people truly love Ebel and B&M, I myself quite like some of B&M's dress watches, but I do not think they pull off the chronograph particularly well. They are about on par with each other, although I might give the edge to B&M. Ebel as a brand just has not come out with anything to really put themselves on the map. I would rank your brands of interest Rolex > Omega > TAG > B&M > Ebel for the most part.

Chronographs with real horological significance would include (again) the Omega Speedmaster, the Zenith El Primero, or even a Breitling Navitimer. If I were going to purchase a chronograph, I would go with one of those 3. The Zenith is likely my personal favorite. The El Primero movement is well known and a thing of beauty.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 237 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40