• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating well in college

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are your tips? What foods are staples for a healthy college diet? I'd like to buy in bulk when possible. I will be taking advantage of the top notch athletic facilities at my university. You will see a new Conne in the months to come.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've got a kitchen, take the money that you would have spent on a meal plan and cook for yourself.

If you shop frugally there is no need to buy in bulk. Eggs are great and inexpensive.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
If you've got a kitchen, take the money that you would have spent on a meal plan and cook for yourself. If you shop frugally there is no need to buy in bulk. Eggs are great and inexpensive.
I will be eating approximately one meal a day in the campus area (there are a million different options so the actual meals will vary), but dinner will be frequently cooked in the home. I'm thinking eggs, boneless chicken breasts and some ground beef and/or cheap steaks will be weekly purchases. Before anyone suggests it, I will starve before I eat Ramen Noodles or other sodium-laden bullshit.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George Foreman grill is your friend. I lost a lot of weight eating frozen chicken breasts cooked on those things. Ate with frozen veggies from costco.

One of my favorite healthy breakfasts:

Egg Beaters + Ground Turkey + Spinich + onions. Eat it with ketchup. Its a "Joe's Scramble" with Turkey.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eggs in the morning

chicken x george foreman

scfdefinit

Reaction score
Eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, chicken breast, salads, cheap steak, fish, fruits, turkey, tuna, whole wheat grains, nuts. All general go-to relatively cheap healthy foods. Costco helps.

The George Foreman idea is interesting.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find yourself a good chili recipe with beans and lean meat. Make enough that you can freeze plenty for later in the week.

Get a blender. It's obviously vital for a wide range of alcoholic drinks, but you can also learn to make breakfast smoothies with frozen fruit, milk, and ice.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorite healthy, cheap breakfasts:
Oatmeal with protein powder, raisins, nuts, cinnamon, etc mixed in.
Cottage cheese with fresh or canned fruit, and a handful of almonds or other nuts

+1 on the Foreman grill

Salads are a great , I relied on them in college myself. You can buy a lot of vegetables for cheap that will last you a while, and vary the different kinds of meats, cheeses, tofu, dressings, etc so that you don't get tired of it.

I would avoid cheap steaks though. It's much better health and money wise to only have red meat sparingly, and splurge on the good stuff when you do.

goodlife

Reaction score
This is not as low cal. as chicken breasts and vegetables, but is quick, easy any the everything you need is fairly nonperishable.

dried pasta (whole wheat is a healthier alternative and is very filling)
splash of olive oil
splash of tomato juice (which can also be used for bloody marys)
add dried basil/oregano/red pepper flakes to taste
top with grated parm. cheese

Stir, eat, enjoy. Not the best meal ever, but pretty good for about 10 monutes work and about $1 per serving.

For something a little fancier (perhaps cooking for a date) GQ had a really easy carbonara recipe a while back.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/might...carbonara.html

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure to go to your local farmers market. You'll be able to get a ton of good fresh produce for cheaper than you could at the grocery store.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
...... Before anyone suggests it, I will starve before I eat Ramen Noodles or other sodium-laden bullshit.
(1) Sautee 2 boneless chicken breasts halves, cut into bite-sized pieces (2) add 2 cups water, 2 packages chicken Ramen noodles, one packet of noodle seasoning, 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce and simmer until noodles are soft (3) add one 12-16 oz. package frozen veggies (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix), cover, and simmer until veggies are heated. A cheap, tasty, and relatively nutritious meal (actually 3-4 meals) in under 30 minutes. If you want more kick, add red pepper, etc. Edit: Can also be done with beef, pork, shrimp, etc.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General tips: Buy yourself a non-stick electric frying pan and a blender. A crock pot can be excellent, too, if you like soups and stews (you assemble everything the night before, turn on the crock pot before you walk out the door in the morning, and dinner is ready when you come home at night. Just pick up a good loaf of bread on your way home). Don't scrimp on spices. Spices seem expensive, but they make all the difference. I keep frozen, boneless chicken breasts, canned soups, sandwich fixings, various pastas, frozen veggies, and pre-made pesto on hand for times when I don't feel much like cooking. It can really cut down on restaurant bills if you know you can throw together a decent meal in about 10 minutes.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the things people concern themselves with......My diet never even crossed my mind when I went to university, beer and chicks however
devil.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$.99 McDonalds spicy chicken sandwich (hold the mayo).

Best $.99 you'll ever spend
laugh.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whole chicken is cheap as hell and not hard to learn how to cut up, and you can use the leftovers to make chicken broth for virtually next to nothing.

Brown rice and whole wheat pasta can form the bases for cheap and healthy meals.

Buy lots of legumes: peas, beans, and lentils. Again, they are cheap and VERY healthy.

Look for sales and clip coupons. It sounds obvious, but lots of people simply don't do it.

If you're serious about eating healthy, always look for fiber and sugar contents on the labels. These are two variables that contribute enormously to a person's overall quality of diet and are both cheap and easy to adjust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads