• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E-Bay are prices really this good?

bwessel

Reaction score
I am hoping some og you can provide direction and share experience regarding purchasing NWT Suits from e-bay. I have spoken to a few individuals who swear this is the best value you can find, but as a skeptic i find it difficult to believe you can by a $3k suit for $500 new anywhere.

Seeing the depth of knowledege demonstrated on this site (in the 20minutes I have now been a member) led me to believe there are probably many members that have experience with this.

Also if any of you know of makers with a jacket cut similar to Hart Schaffner Marx (specifically the cut in the shoulder / under arm area) that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick tip, since you have never purchased suit on eBay, know your measurements. Learn how to properly measure a suit. Look for a suit on eBay, from a reputable seller, with the same measurements.

Also, you may want to hang around here and read for a while before you purchase that HSM suit on eBay.

bwessel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Here's a quick tip, since you have never purchased suit on eBay, know your measurements. Learn how to properly measure a suit. Look for a suit on eBay, from a reputable seller, with the same measurements.

Also, you may want to hang around here and read for a while before you purchase that HSM suit on eBay.

Thanks for the response. I have 4 of these suits already, but i have always tried them on prior to purchase. This is the only decent brand i can buy locally, so it's either the internet ot ravelling if i want other options. I know i am a 46 long, but i have noticed that the arms are cut differently on many suits. I have broad thisck shoulders and many cuts are just too restrictive, and my tailor said that there isn't a lot that can be done with that seem. There are a lot of different makers out there, I am just wondering if anyone has experience with one that is similar to HSM.

LukeM

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That retail value is not important at all.
The value of money that you are paying for is more important. It's not about paying $200 for $7K retail item. Think about this, Is $200 worth that item?
It looks like many people are very obsessed with the retail price, but that retail price is very meaningless.

Enough of that, you can get really good deals on eBay if you know how to find them. And, try to get contacted with seller, and offer them a price that you think is reasonable for you and seller.

And, You always have to know your measurements and that measurements are not always right because there's something called FIT. You really have to pay some lesson fee bro.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After many bad experiences on ebay, I would be extremely careful unless the seller is very reliable and has high and extensive feedback.

I would say 50% of my transactions on ebay for clothing have been bad, with the items being used even though marked as new, measurements being way off (I once bought a 38 chest suit that came with > 38 inch waist pants, despite it being marked as drop 6), or blatant defects that were not mentioned in the original description.

intfxdx

Reaction score
if suit is new with tag but price is really bargain compared to retail, it may be an old model. Or new model but suit has sth that people don't like. i found a rlbl suit on the b&s of my size but lapels are really wide. people don't like wide lapels and price goes down, it's supply and demand game.

if suit is used than be careful ! my experience : i bought last year (i was new to suit world) a prl suit for $150, very nice fabric, and seller states size 38R but mislabeled as 42(really be careful if seller says mislabeled). Indeed chest measurement and shoulder are similar to 38R. By the time i learned about suits, and i noticed that this suit has very wide arms compared to my other suits. my conclusion is the suit was indeed 42, but it has been tailored through time, and ended up to be a 38R and it's well tailored but still i don't want a suit with very wide arms.
If a suit is used by different people then it's mostly altered by different people according to their shapes.

David Watts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwessel

Also if any of you know of makers with a jacket cut similar to Hart Schaffner Marx (specifically the cut in the shoulder / under arm area) that would be great.

Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers, Southwick, Burberry, Austin Reed, Oxxford, et al.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stu00a
That retail value is not important at all.

Not only that, but the "retail price" listed on eBay is nearly always meaningless. If the suit says "loro piana" somewhere in it (like a suit made in the Dominican Republic of Loro Piana fabric) the seller searches "Loro Piana suit" and suddenly it's "NWOT Loro Piana Suit $4500".

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A crumpled up blanket made of loro piana cashmere is still going to feel pretty damn nice, though. And I'm sure most 'made in italy' suits are really made in china, then scribbled on or dusted off in an italian warehouse, and thus, MADE IN IT-A-LY :p.

You can get nice stuff on ebay. Just consider the second price, like others have said, and don't be mad when you find out the seller bought it for pennies at Nordstrom Rack or something.
laugh.gif

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be careful. My first attempt at buying a suit was a fail. Seller said NWT, but when I took it to a tailor he indicated it was already heavily altered. Luckily I was able to return it to the seller (who had a 100% rating on ebay btw).

But my experiences after that were successful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads