• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durable high-rise trousers

drynessandfluidity

Reaction score
Hello! Over the past two years I've acquired a collection of high-rise trousers, primarily from Natalino and Spier & Mackay. I really enjoy the style and the choice of fabrics, however I find that they unfortunately wear out really quickly for me, so I am looking for something more durable. Ideally a brand offering multiple different natural fabrics, but with more heft to them. Maybe I need to lose the side-tabs to find this? I'm not sure.. Either way, any insight in brands that offer more durable trousers with a classic high-rise fit would be highly appreciated! Ideally within a budget of 2-300 EUR, similar to Natalino and within EU, but if they're only available elsewhere that's OK too, as long as they can be had in a 30" waist or less!

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score
What do you mean by "wear out" and "durable"? Where are they wearing out? What are you using them for? How do the side tabs matter in all this? It would help to know these things for providing advice.

I will comment that I have a pair of high rise 1960s Belgian military trousers in heavy whipcord material (got them from a vantage store in France)...these things are amazing, heavy, and tough as nails, but not as refined in appearance as trousers from S&M, etc.

drynessandfluidity

Reaction score
What do you mean by "wear out" and "durable"? Where are they wearing out? What are you using them for? How do the side tabs matter in all this? It would help to know these things for providing advice.

I will comment that I have a pair of high rise 1960s Belgian military trousers in heavy whipcord material (got them from a vantage store in France)...these things are amazing, heavy, and tough as nails, but not as refined in appearance as trousers from S&M, etc.
Seams coming apart mostly, but also the fabric changing a lot in appearance and colour from wear. I'm using them for everyday stuff, office work, running errands, doing work around the house. Nothing I've had issues doing in ordinary chinos in the past. I've only found side tabs on more dressy delicate pants, hence why I believe it may not be possible to find them in a more durable trouser. I'll see if I can find any vintage offerings online.

Last edited:

TimothyF

Reaction score
If it's seams, then that's poor construction quality. Then I would take the best fitting pair to a cut-measure-sew place that has a good selection of heavy cloths, and ask them to reproduce the trousers in your chosen fabric.

BTW Spier Mackay high rise isn't anywhere near. Probably mid rise at best

100% this. Vintage militaria are some of the best deals, and often in materials that no mill is producing today. But you'd often have to stomach the full fit, or fit a capable means of slimming them down to "modern aesthetics"

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seams coming apart mostly, but also the fabric changing a lot in appearance and colour from wear. I'm using them for everyday stuff, office work, running errands, doing work around the house. Nothing I've had issues doing in ordinary chinos in the past. I've only found side tabs on more dressy delicate pants, hence why I believe it may not be possible to find them in a more durable trouser. I'll see if I can find any vintage offerings online.

Could it be the poor cut?
Poor cut can cause rubbing in certain areas and the crotch area.
Many companies have their trousers cut on the cheap and have numerous shortcomings like this below:

They don't use enough material in a certain panel of the trousers (cost cutting method) so the pockets bulge out
image_2023-10-12_202004124.png

and the line of the trouser makes one look bigger in an unflattering way around the middle.
Not a sexy clean line but more of a dumpy line.
Spier and Mackay 1.jpg

many of those companies use Chinese companies with terrible cutters.
Trousers bulge out
Trousers wear out in the crotch because the high rise not high enough etc.
Suit collar some off neck and bulges out

If you want proper trousers you buy a better cut from a company who do it right.
A proper trouser maker cost lot of money, but it worth it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads