• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing well for youngins

WayneMitchell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm only 17 years old, so I'm having a hard time incorporating classic menswear into my everyday dress. My biggest fear is just looking like a hipster or, worse yet, "dandy." It seems like at my age, doing so much as tucking in my shirt can get me odd looks or questions of "why are you so dressed up?". Every day for the past year or so, I've pretty much been wearing loafers (I have a few decent pairs; Allen Edmonds, Meermin), slacks, a buttondown shirt tucked-in and, when it gets colder, a sweater or cardigan. However, I'm starting to get bored of having such little variety. I love the look of cravats, however I'm almost certain wearing those is out of the question for me for at least 40 years, hah.

What are some ways I could start bringing more aspects of classic menswear into my casual wardrobe without looking "dandy?"

Is there any possible way I could wear ties casually without looking queer? Bowties?

Thanks,

Wayne

ctp120

Reaction score
At the risk of troll-feeding, I'll give you a straight answer. Dress your age, just do it well.

Take the presumably transcendent principles of what's around here called "good taste" (the accepted wisdom that governs consensus within classic menswear) and apply them within your constraints where you can. In other words, working with the clothes that make sense for your life-stage, refine your eye for fit, pattern, color, texture, and quality of make, among other things. Learn your body type and features and what clothing choices flatter them. Buy one decent suit and set of furnishings and relish the chances to actually wear them. They'll likely be few, but resist the urge to wear dress clothes when you need not wear them. Then when the day comes that doing so on a regular basis makes sense, you'll be way ahead of the game.

WayneMitchell

Reaction score
Not a troll. I don't dress out of place, that was the whole premise of this thread, to see if there was any way it'd be appropriate to dress the way I want casually. If "dressing my age" means wearing sneakers, I'll pass. Obviously, I'd never wear a suit to school.

Do you think it looks out of place to just tuck my shirt in?

blitzmage

Reaction score
I agree. Dress your age, otherwise you will really look out of place.

Incorporating "classic" style into your everyday dress is tricky given your age. Long sleeve oxford button downs, at your age, are meant for formal gatherings. So are loafers.

If I were a 17 year old that would like to dress classic-casual I'd buy several polo t-shirts, slim fit chinos and a pair of Sperry boat shoes. I'd add in a few cardigans there for the cooler weather. Classic dressing at your age would have to lean towards the sportier side.

At your age, I bought several long sleeve t-shirts/light sweaters, shorts and boat shoes.

ctp120

Reaction score
I was mainly responding to your question about working in ties and other features of CM. I'd not do that.

kasakka

Reaction score
I think something like brogue oxfords or derbys in casual colors (brown, tan or more unusual colors like red or lighter blue) would be perfectly fine. As long as the shape of the last is stylish and the overall look is casual.

Outside of prom or job interviews ties and even more so bowties should be avoided. Same for anything that makes you look like an office worker.

For pants nice, slim chinos and jeans should be the ones to go for.

For jackets instead of sportcoats consider getting a nice moto or double rider style, slim fitting leather jacket.

Casual looking waistcoats might not be a bad choice when worn with a simple dress shirt or t-shirt without a tie. Not exactly classic menswear but it is something that quite a few celebrities wear so might not raise too many eyes.

If you want to wear a dress shirt, consider rolling up the sleeves or not having it perfectly ironed. Alternatively choose colors and patterns that would fit a young person.

In short, shoes are probably the only part of classic menswear you can truly use and have to wait until your mid 20s to even consider the rest. I'm over 30 and still get co-workers in a new place asking if I'm going to a party if I come in wearing a sportcoat or tie. They quickly get used to it though. I think a lot of it has to do with the way you carry it and your personality - there's a difference between "the guy who always dresses like going to a fancy party, what a weirdo" vs "that's just his style and he looks good in it".

WayneMitchell

Reaction score
Thanks kasakka,

I think my personality definitely carries it well. Personally, I can't stand waistcoats when worn without jackets, though.

dannybear

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a little older than you but I've faced the same dilemmas in the past, I'd say have a look around the streetwear and denim area don't worry its not all swag baseball caps and running shorts, there's so much great stuff we can get away with wearing at our age which will be out of the question when we're old men and at that stage we'll have plenty of time to dress traditionally. If you're really set on traditional menswear have a look at gant rugger and the way they style their clothes.

billythekid

Reaction score
I tend to agree about Gant Rugger. Probably a good choice.
In school my best dressed friends wore 90% hilfiger or brooks brothers/polo and this is not a wealthy area. relativelt poor area. most was from outlets id assume.
Maybe have your button downs shortened, so you can not wear them non-ironed and untucked with shorts.
Maybe spend time thrifting as well so you don't break the bank.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Casual shirts can be worn untucked but if you own shirts 'made for tucking' then by all means tuck them in. Tucked in shirts is by no means being dressed up, untucked formal shirts, however, look messy and ridiculous (see every sloppy-looking Apple executive at their keynotes—tucking in would make all the difference).

I would recommend incorporating shirt jackets and more country-rugged, but still traditional menswear as a starting point. Consider outerwear such as peacoats or a classic leather bomber jacket, basic leather gloves and nicely knit, unbranded knitwear and knit accessories for winter. Nice leather boots also help bridge the divide between sport/casual clothing and traditional menswear. Well-fitting classic jeans in a discreet wash (always size down one if you are unsure—they will stretch in the waist) such as the Levi's 501 model or khaki chinos with a solid tshirt and a nice knit cardigan goes well with leather boots and doesn't look inappropriately stodgy for your age, or swap the top ensemble for a classic but fitted flannel shirt. As for the hipster issue, it's really only a problem if you behave like one; don't avoid clothes you like because of ridiculous stereotypes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads