• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing too well?

Motol12

Reaction score
A funny thing happened to me in court today. The verdict came back in a five day trial I had been on, and the defendant was found not guilty on all counts, I lost big time. Any time I finish a trial and I have time, and the judge agrees, I ask if any of the jurors are interested in speaking with me about the case. This time one of the jurors told me "I really found myself distracted by how you were dressed. I mean, with the cufflinks and pocket thingy and everything you just screamed 'slick, silver-tounged lawyer' and I couldn't really trust what you were saying." That really surprised me, so I remembered what I wore on all four days of the trial, and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the waredrobe choices and if you share the opinion of the juror.

Day 1 (jury selection, opening statements, some witnesses): White french cuff shirt from Brooks Brothers, grey pinstripe Hickey Freeman 'Madison', and a solid medium blue necktie.

Day 2: (More witnesses): Light blue contrast coller french cuff shirt from Ben Silver, three-piece navy pinstriped suit suit from RLPL (vintage), and a red necktie with a subdued white paisely print necktie from JoS A. Bank.

Day 3: (More witnesses): White french cuff shirt with blue/grey stripes from Armani Collezioni, brown nailhead suit from Paul Stuart, and a grey necktie with white pencil stripes.

Day 4: (More witnesses): French blue button cuff shirt from Ben Silver, charcoal grey suit from the JoS A. Bank Signature Gold collection, and a black necktie with french blue dots (small but noticable) from Ralph Lauren Chaps.

Day 5: (Final witnesses, closing arguments and jury deliberation): Bespoke white french cuff shirt from Turnbull and Asser, navy suit from Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, and a red necktie with navy blue pencil stripes from Brooks Brothers.

Day 6: (jury deliberation and verdict): Ecru button-cuff shirt from JoS. A Bank, tan suit from Ben Silver, and a medium and light blue alternating dot tie with a tan box pattern around each dot from Bill Blass.

On all days but three I wore black wingtip shoes (brown on day three,) and on every day I wore a linen pocket square with an architect fold.

This might seem petty and strange, but this trial was the result of several years of preparation and I'd hate to think that something I take pride in (my appearence) had a measured effect on the outcome.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
everyone makes judgements, its just one mans opinion, others might have thought much differently.

Blue collar people tend to have a distaste of well dressed people. I sometimes will do small time general contracting, and some of the blue collar people who will work for me are off-put by my well dressed nature.

Others enjoy it, some blue collar, and alot of white collar.

Dont take one mans opinion too much to heart.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

everyone makes judgements, its just one mans opinion, others might have thought much differently.

Blue collar people tend to have a distaste of well dressed people. I sometimes will do small time general contracting, and some of the blue collar people who will work for me are off-put by my well dressed nature.

Others enjoy it, some blue collar, and alot of white collar.

Dont take one mans opinion too much to heart.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motol12
A funny thing happened to me in court today. The verdict came back in a five day trial I had been on, and the defendant was found not guilty on all counts, I lost big time. Any time I finish a trial and I have time, and the judge agrees, I ask if any of the jurors are interested in speaking with me about the case. This time one of the jurors told me "I really found myself distracted by how you were dressed. I mean, with the cufflinks and pocket thingy and everything you just screamed 'slick, silver-tounged lawyer' and I couldn't really trust what you were saying." That really surprised me, so I remembered what I wore on all four days of the trial, and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the waredrobe choices and if you share the opinion of the juror.

Day 1 (jury selection, opening statements, some witnesses): White french cuff shirt from Brooks Brothers, grey pinstripe Hickey Freeman 'Madison', and a solid medium blue necktie.

Day 2: (More witnesses): Light blue contrast coller french cuff shirt from Ben Silver, three-piece navy pinstriped suit suit from RLPL (vintage), and a red necktie with a subdued white paisely print necktie from JoS A. Bank.

Day 3: (More witnesses): White french cuff shirt with blue/grey stripes from Armani Collezioni, brown nailhead suit from Paul Stuart, and a grey necktie with white pencil stripes.

Day 4: (More witnesses): French blue button cuff shirt from Ben Silver, charcoal grey suit from the JoS A. Bank Signature Gold collection, and a black necktie with french blue dots (small but noticable) from Ralph Lauren Chaps.

Day 5: (Final witnesses, closing arguments and jury deliberation): Bespoke white french cuff shirt from Turnbull and Asser, navy suit from Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, and a red necktie with navy blue pencil stripes from Brooks Brothers.

Day 6: (jury deliberation and verdict): Ecru button-cuff shirt from JoS. A Bank, tan suit from Ben Silver, and a medium and light blue alternating dot tie with a tan box pattern around each dot from Bill Blass.

On all days but three I wore black wingtip shoes (brown on day three,) and on every day I wore a linen pocket square with an architect fold.

This might seem petty and strange, but this trial was the result of several years of preparation and I'd hate to think that something I take pride in (my appearence) had a measured effect on the outcome.

pictures???
frown.gif

The Gimp

Reaction score
I know I won't win many friends here, but I think French Cuffs, contrast collar shirts and pocket squares are over the top. Other than that, what you wore sounds fine. I'm not "blue collar", but if I was sitting in that jury - I may have formed a similar opinion. Your outfit sounds more appropriate for a real estate closing or the signing of another deal - not for court.

I will say it is sad that the guy got off if the sole reason was your wardrobe. The jury should have been impartial and simply used the facts that were presented in the case. It sounds like that wasn't the case.

All in all, maybe you should take a hint and scale back when in court.

law-order.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear this, especially if the outcome of the trial really was shaped by your appearance. You'd think jurors would understand that they are charged with making a decision based on the evidence, not on your pocket square. But, if nothing else, it's a valuable lesson on how strongly people can react to our clothing choices. For a lawyer, there really is such a thing as being too nicely dressed. Same is true for those starting out in the workplace, and for those who are dependent on impressing others for their living. There's a reason politicians dress only so well.

Most of your choices sound fine individually. But they might assemble into a slicker whole, depending on how flashy the cut and cloth, and on whether the clothes still have that sheen of newness. I would, however, suggest you omit the contrast-collar shirts from future trials. I've found people often a very visceral reaction to them, and to anything that varies too widely from what they see every day. Even brown suits and vests strike me as something of a risk, particularly if you have a good chance of drawing a blue-collar jury. If you really want to be a man of the people, stick to solid shirts and barrel cuffs. Can't go wrong with those. Bear in mind, many jurors are looking for something to dislike. Keeps them from having to focus on the testimony.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. One juror is not representative of the whole, and if it weren't your clothing, it could easily be some other crazy rationale.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry i didnt mean to draw any unreasonable assumptions, maybe the fellow wasnt blue collar, his "pocket thingy" comment and the hate of silver tongued lawyers is what made me draw that assumption.

My apologies.

anyways, i think i would pass on contrast collars, i feel french cuffs are fine with subtle cufflinks. I personally go for the TV fold, since i like wearing squares, but i dont always like drawing alot of attention with them.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cufflinks, contrasting collar/cuffs, pocket square, and 3 piece suit all scream douchebag lawyer.

As a juror he has to make some sort of judgment on each legal team that he sees in the courtroom. He sometimes has to decide if one side is knowingly fudging the facts more than the other. Sometimes the evidence is ambiguous, its he said/she said, and in the end the juror just has to make a call, one side or the other, based on everything he has seen.

The picture of a sympathetic lawyer is Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird. Did he dress well? yes. did he dress spectacularly and conspicuously? no.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Maybe you can move for a mistrial or appeal after the juror admitted that he was swayed by your clothing and not the facts of the case?

mdg137

Reaction score
I completely understand-- my practice is in a predominately blue collar suburb of Detroit, and I watch very closely what I wear when dealing with clients.

One of my colleagues often does depositions in jeans and a baseball cap-- when I first asked him about it, he has the perfect response-- "Ive made a career out of making people underestimate me..."

R-H

Reaction score
You might be interested in reading Dress for Success: http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-N...496583-8314414

The author goes into great depth discussing how to dress when dealing with people of varying levels of sophistication. The book is a bit over the top, and somewhat outdated, but a lot of what the author says makes sense.

You might want to try dressing down in court. Conservative solid colour shirts (white is best). Button cuff shirts instead of french. Solid colour suits instead of pinstripes. Black shoes always.

You might look like a politician but they dress that way for a reason. Their clothing gives the impression that they are more trustworthy (according to the book).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads