• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Down pillows

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get new pillows, I have had my current two for about a year and they are flat and useless... they were some cheap synthetic 'like down' material... they get hot, I have to keep flipping them throughout the night and overall suck...

I am thinking of going with some higher quality down pillows. From checking local stores and feeling some of the pillows it seems like 700 (or atleast 600) fill would provide the fluff and support I am looking for.

Is the 'fill' amount what I should relly be concerned with when looking for new pillows? The 700 fill 1000 thread count were like $130/ piece for queen pillows at my local bed bath and beyond.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love down but personally I think down pillows are a waste of money. The higher the fill power the hotter these will be, and I personally haven't had good luck with the longevity of down pillows. If you must have down I'd personally go with a very light down pillow to put over top of a synthetic pillow to provide the support. Just my experience though, maybe I haven't bought the right down pillows.

Btw Overstock.com is the place to buy this kind of stuff. Just bought a featherbed and down comforter from there at great prices and with tons of reviews etc.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I love down but personally I think down pillows are a waste of money. The higher the fill power the hotter these will be, and I personally haven't had good luck with the longevity of down pillows. If you must have down I'd personally go with a very light down pillow to put over top of a synthetic pillow to provide the support. Just my experience though, maybe I haven't bought the right down pillows.

Btw Overstock.com is the place to buy this kind of stuff. Just bought a featherbed and down comforter from there at great prices and with tons of reviews etc.

nice i will check it out. I was also considering one of those memory foam pillows as well but didnt really like the feel of it too much.

DBoon

Reaction score
pg, try a memory foam with a nice pillowcase. I used to have to **** around with two down pillows, folding them over to make them stiffer, etc. I only have to use one pillow now and it's surprising how much better it is

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foam is always going to be hot. Don't give up on synthetic. They make some for people who want to sleep cool. When they go flat, put them in the dryer and they will fluff back up like new. Besides. Synthetic is also more hygienic, and inexpensive, so you can throw them out more frequently without guilt.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Foam is always going to be hot. Don't give up on synthetic. They make some for people who want to sleep cool. When they go flat, put them in the dryer and they will fluff back up like new. Besides. Synthetic is also more hygienic, and inexpensive, so you can throw them out more frequently without guilt.

I have yet to find a synthetic that fells as puffy/firm as a 700+ fill down pillow... but then again I have always tried to buy fairly cheap pillows (i.e., $30 and under)

bsherman100

Reaction score
memory foam
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tenpurpedic finally wore out last year so on a whim I bought the "better" down pillow from Target as a quick replacement. I love it- still sleeping almost like new.

emptym

Reaction score
I bought one of these natural latex ones several months ago and love it. No hotness, no fluffing. Before it I would get neck/back aches from sleeping. None since this.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Are there any other leads for a synthetic wrapped in down pillow? I love the fluff of down but hate when they compress to nothing. They make feather wrapped in down, but Ive never seen synthetic and down. The DWR pillow looks cool, but I'm not one for memory foam.

saffy911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I need to get new pillows, I have had my current two for about a year and they are flat and useless... they were some cheap synthetic 'like down' material... they get hot, I have to keep flipping them throughout the night and overall suck...

I am thinking of going with some higher quality down pillows. From checking local stores and feeling some of the pillows it seems like 700 (or atleast 600) fill would provide the fluff and support I am looking for.

Is the 'fill' amount what I should relly be concerned with when looking for new pillows? The 700 fill 1000 thread count were like $130/ piece for queen pillows at my local bed bath and beyond.

I use a Brinkhaus down pillows from Germany. They're like sleeping on the underbelly of a goose, but I wish they had a little more support.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be hesitant about buying pillows over the internet.

I like to be able to feel a pillow before buying it, so that I can tell how high it is, how firm it is, and how heavy it is. I'm possibly a bit fussy, though, as I like a fairly low/flat pillow, yet one that is quite firm.

Perhaps surprisingly, I've been quite pleased with the down pillows from Ikea. They have a reasonable selection and, like pretty much all of Ikea's products, they are quite cheap.

saffy911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be hesitant about buying pillows over the internet.

I like to be able to feel a pillow before buying it, so that I can tell how high it is, how firm it is, and how heavy it is. I'm possibly a bit fussy, though, as I like a fairly low/flat pillow, yet one that is quite firm.

Perhaps surprisingly, I've been quite pleased with the down pillows from Ikea. They have a reasonable selection and, like pretty much all of Ikea's products, they are quite cheap.

I have my down pillows for sleeping and Ikea pillows to have wild monkey sex on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads