• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Monk Straps- AE Mora and CJ Lowndes

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
These aren't EG's or John Lobbs, but I'm not planning on spending more than $400 on a pair of monkstraps. I am stuck between these two monkstraps. My preference, suprisingly, is for the Mora. The Lowndes I'm sure is a better shoe, but it's too pointy and costs about $80 more though I would gladly pay the difference for a better shoe. Both fit very well.

Does anyone have both shoes and can provide some feedback?
Can anyone help in making the decision?

7068.jpg

clownt.jpg

LaoHu

Reaction score
I have the Mora, but not the Lowdes. I like the Mora a lot. They have a sleek look for an American shoe IMO. Mine are brown suede. Got 'em through eBay for $60.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
I have the Mora, but not the Lowdes. I like the Mora a lot. They have a sleek look for an American shoe IMO. Mine are brown suede. Got 'em through eBay for $60.

I have the Mora in both brown suede and black and love them. Not familiar with the Lowdes and I can't see your link.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for rounded toe and more comfort, the Moras
for chiselled toe and sleeker look, the Lowndes

I like the Lowndes more though I am not a fan of chiselled toe.
S&H has some rounded toe Double Monks aswell.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't see the Lowndes pic at work. Now that I can see it, I must say, I really like it. Just based on those pics I think I like it even better than the Mora.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the Moras. I have a pair in chocolate brown, but rarely wear them since I find them rather blobby. The Lowndes look pretty elegant though - I'm a sucker for a chiseled toe.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I liked the concept, but could never warm up to the Moras in person.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
The Lowndes is a beautiful, beautiful shoe, I have seen it in real life and it is an exceptionally handsome shoe. The Mora reminds me of a banana. Sorry AE folks
frown.gif

LOL.

Yeah....I'd get the Lowndes.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't own either shoe but i'd go with lowndes. it's on my wish list.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lowndes is MY PERSONAL grail shoe. I have bought the Lobb Chapel, Vale, William and EG Grants....but the Lowndes is still my grail. I have only seen it in pictures....I am apprehensive in buying it as it may just not live up to its grail status. I can treasure it so much more since I dont have it.
inlove.gif

Regards.

Smahatma

Reaction score
I have the lowndes in black. I'm eventually going to buy a second pair in brown too. For smaller size feet like mine, the 348 last looks great, though it might be a little much in the upper end of the size range. The moras are just too blobby for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads