• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal recommendation for suit

max power

Reaction score
Here are more pics. I was looking at these myself for a jacket. The thornproof has a tighter weave than the W. Bill.

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd lean towards 3 patch as well. I've heard that Chan can often make their patch pockets a bit on the larger side so you may want to give them measurements based on an existing jacket's pockets. I personally prefer patch pockets to look a touch leaner than wider. Then again, I'm a skinny guy.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Yeah, I was thinking of 3, but as a full suit would it look weird?

I think with the right kind of fabric 3 patch pockets can look fine on a suit. This seems to be one of those fabrics that would work for it so it may be a good opportunity to utilize it as it's already a casual suit.

I'd personally do either 3 patch or welt with flap pockets. The latter would be a cool Mad Men wintry suit. As always though, follow your gut.

I am going to be getting the Minnis brown glen plaid flannel with rust overcheck made into a 3-piece this winter and I may do the 3 patch pockets as well. Realistically, I'll be wearing the jacket solo more often than a suit though.

M. Charles

Reaction score
I like the looks of the W. Bill much better, but the question is whether it will hold up as trousers. I would've guessed no, but we have 2 tailors and Will saying that it will be OK...

I personally think the 34542 is very nice.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I checked out the Scabal, P&H and W. Bill swatches yesterday. The tailor said any could be made into a suit including the W. Bill stuff, which I really liked. Nice and chunky (I think it's 13+ oz) and it has the color I am after: light gray (which is really black/white with colored flecks). So, I might go with that. Haven't placed the order yet, though. Would anyone still advise against this in a suit (trousers)? Side question: Which pocket configuration would you choose for a Donegal suit? ps. I might want to wear the jacket as a separate once in a while. 3 patch 2 patch with welt 2 flap with welt
Patch pockets on a donegal tweed suit!? That will look nasty. Flap pockets and a welt. Also, maybe a ticket pocket. I regret getting a ticket pocket on mine but that would be fine. Also, while I have doubt that you can make up all the different donegals into a suit, I dont think the hairier stuff from W. Bill is going to be comfortable (even if the pants are completely lined) and will bag and come apart easier that the others. If that isnt a concern, then whatever. I find it amusing how some people torture themselves with an overabundance of choice. The Porter and Harding cloth is the suiting one.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope.

I don't see why it would - especially if you get the natural shoulders you normally get on your Chans.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
The Porter and Harding is really nice. I almost ordered a pair of pants in it, but 17 oz. seemed way too heavy for San Diego. I agree with FNB about the pockets. I think the suit in post # 7 looks great.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It would look great as a suit, IMO. I've seen a few that have looked nice.

rrosals

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It would look great as a suit, IMO. I've seen a few that have looked nice.

I am having trousers made up for my existing 3 patch coat. I was hesitant at first but I think it will make a nice casual suit.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of this suit, Parker. (Then again, I really like casual suits.) I am looking forward to seeing the result.

FWIW:
For one of my casual suits I chose FNB's option, including ticket pocket; different kind of fabric (no tweed; a brown wool/cashmere herringbone); no regrets about that choice. For another one I chose patch+welt, for a practical/esthetic reason: I want my glasses/sunglasses to fit in the breast pocket (even in autumn/winter) and I don't like long or big patched breast pockets.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rrosals
I am having trousers made up for my existing 3 patch coat. I was hesitant at first but I think it will make a nice casual suit.
I bought a Donegal suit last year but haven't worn it yet because until recently I couldn't decide what to pair with it. I've decided to wear it on weekends or casual days at work with a Tartan wool tie and shell saddle shoes. It's still too warm to wear it now, but I'm looking forward to a cold wintery day to wear it.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 patch
2 patch with welt
2 flap with welt

The three-patch sounds great for a more casual fabric.

set you free

Reaction score
I like the idea of unlined donegal tweed pants as I think it is good to feel the itch. It puts you more in touch with the cloth and the hand of the artisan who made it. That said, I don't have any.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I really like the idea of this suit, Parker. (Then again, I really like casual suits.) I am looking forward to seeing the result. FWIW: For one of my casual suits I chose FNB's option, including ticket pocket; different kind of fabric (no tweed; a brown wool/cashmere herringbone); no regrets about that choice. For another one I chose patch+welt, for a practical/esthetic reason: I want my glasses/sunglasses to fit in the breast pocket (even in autumn/winter) and I don't like long or big patched breast pockets.
It would be interesting to do a Harrisons Millionaire cashmere fabric in a herringbone or other tweed pattern as a suit. But the Donegal Tweed by Porter and Harding has survived to this time with a certain flexibility to it. It's supple and breathable. It's still a little too much for San Diego but I dont get hot in it which is a bellwether for comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads