• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does the non iron treatment eventually wear off?

JO3B

Reaction score
So, I found a shirt that fits me rather perfectly, but they only come treated with that non-ironing business.

any chance a couple of washes will wear that away? i'm not really interested in looking permanently crisp.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should last through several dozen--if you follow the care instructions.

yo!

Reaction score
Most modern/high quality non-iron treatments will not have this problem. When non-iron first came out they would weave the fabric and then treat it as a whole. Now-a-days they will treat the thread before it is woven which allows the fabric to keep its non-iron characteristics much longer.

In theory it has the possibility of 'washing out' but that is unlikely unless you wash your shirts every day.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands End no-iron shirts are guaranteed for 25 washes. They just came out with a new version that is good for 50 washes, but only have a few versions of that shirt. I don't own any of the LE no-iron shirts, so I have no personal experience.

JO3B

Reaction score
ok well, i kinda DON'T want the treatment to stay so i guess question to follow is, is there any way to speed up the process?

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
In my experience, the number of washings it will handle before losing the wrinkle resistance is understated. I have a Nordstrom non-iron that I have run through my washer on extra hot maybe a dozen times and have sent out to the cleaners maybe half a dozen to a dozen times, and I have made zero progress in converting it into a standard non-non-iron shirt. In fact, I think maybe what I will do now is throw it in EVERY time I do a load of wash and see what happens first: shirt falls apart or non-iron coating is removed

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I understand it, isn't the coating more of an issue on the cheaper shirts?
I thought that higher end non-iron shirts had a lot to do with the weave of the fabric in addition to coating each thread individually instead of coating the woven fabric.

highball

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but what are the disadvantages of most non-iron shirts? I have never owned any, but wouldn’t be opposed to it if I found a non-iron shirt in a fabric and fit that I liked. It seems like the consensus around here is that they should be avoided. Is it just that they stay unreasonably stiff or some such?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My couple BB non-irons are still stiff and crinkly after a few dozen washes. They don't seem any softer than when new. Also, I think the collar and cuffs are more susceptible to fraying with treated fabric with more washes.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
In my experience, the number of washings it will handle before losing the wrinkle resistance is understated. I have a Nordstrom non-iron that I have run through my washer on extra hot maybe a dozen times and have sent out to the cleaners maybe half a dozen to a dozen times, and I have made zero progress in converting it into a standard non-non-iron shirt. In fact, I think maybe what I will do now is throw it in EVERY time I do a load of wash and see what happens first: shirt falls apart or non-iron coating is removed
I agree with this. I own LE non-iron OCBDs that are probably 15 years old. Though I don't wear them much anymore, I probably wore them once every 2 weeks for the first decade of their lives and laundered them (and dried them on high) after every wearing. The fabric has softened considerably, but they still come out of the dryer without wrinkles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads