• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own/wear a brown suit?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
......27.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, one of my favourites is a Canali in medium brown windowpane. Good for the summer.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a dark brown pinstripe SB suit. I use it for work. Yes, I do.

By the way, I thought about getting a lighter brownish or tan one with blue or grey pinstripes for summer, but the tailor I decided to try did not have the right cloth.

And I am thinking of getting some kind of brown/grey/blue chalk-stripe suit the coming autumn. I saw something in this kind of "mixed" colours/shades in a shop-window, and I liked the look of it. It looked really nice.

Actually, I am very fond of brown shades. I am not talking about the right-out **** brown colour, but dark or bronce brown, or brown mixed with blue or grey, can look really nice, IMO.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobacco chalkstripe in linen, great for summer. Color is really like an avana cigar, I love it.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this tobacco colour is the colour I am thinking of, then I believe that I saw a similar suit in a shopwindow the other day. Just lovely.
Now, are you sure it is chalk-stripe and not pin-stripe? I though that chalk-stripe patterns were more for flannel autumn/winter suits, but I may be wrong.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really between the two, a wider pinstripe, very nice, and it's partially lined.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it 100% linen, or a mix? Does it wrinkle a lot?
Where did you get that suit? I have been considering this kind of suit, but I have not found the right fabric.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 100% linen and it does wrinkle, but not that much, and to me it's the beauty of linen.
Unfortunately I can't help you with cloth or a shop as I got it in Italy.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You see, I just received this suit and was wondering if I shouldn't best keep it since it is just me size. It is a NWT Borrelli and the fabric is a Super 120's light weight flannel. But then I am not sure about brown suits...

borrelli_braun_ganz

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it!
The colour looks a bit like my own dark brown one, but with more "subtle" stripes.
However, I (personally) do not like the way it combines with the shirt and tie; I would use a shirt with a "stronger" blue colour, or a white shirt, or, why not, a bottle green shirt, and a darker tie.
The only reason for me not to wear a brown suit is if it is not considered appropriate in your business environment.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Japanese very conservative when it comes to suit colours?
I was in Japan on business about a year or two ago, and I believe to recall that charcoal was the predominating suit colour. And shoes were black.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. And a number of brown sportcoats. I love brown and black. My favorite ensemble from my sister's Yves Saint Laurent collection is a brown satin suit, with velveteen lapels, and black jet buttons.
1208re2.jpg

Tomasso . . . I especially like the necktie and pocket square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads