• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Even Home Theater Bro?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe there is no thread on this subject. My man cave has a 7.1 setup. I just got a new AV processor, XMC-1, with an old UPA-7 amplifier. Aperion Verus 40 towers for FR & FL, Intimus 5B for center SR & SL, old-ass Jamo bookshelfs for RSR & RSL and a PB-12 subwoofer. TV is a Samsung 65Q8.

I want to add a second SVS subwoofer soon. I just order some "super" tweeters from Aperion last month, and should get them in a couple of weeks. I'm very curious to see what the tweeter addition, well adds.

Clearly this is not a high-end system, but it sounds great. The dirac ARC on the XMC-1 is very good, much better and more comprehensive than whatever was used in the old UMC-200.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I used to be big into home theater like 10 years ago but now kids get in the way. My system consists of an old Onkyo 7.2 receiver and a bluetooth transmitter connected to Beats headphones so I can watch movies at night while the kids sleep. A somewhat dated Vizio 59” tv rounds out the viewing aspect. As kids get older and I have more time I’m foing to look at converting my man cave to a nice home theater room.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, I used to be big into home theater like 10 years ago but now kids get in the way. My system consists of an old Onkyo 7.2 receiver and a bluetooth transmitter connected to Beats headphones so I can watch movies at night while the kids sleep. A somewhat dated Vizio 59” tv rounds out the viewing aspect. As kids get older and I have more time I’m foing to look at converting my man cave to a nice home theater room.

I got kids ranging from 9-18 and they love the home theater! I have a massive couch that can hold about 8 and sound absorbing foam on the bar doors that form the back of the theater.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the kids more cheap clothing and upgraded my speakers to some obscene full range monsters.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess what came today? Nice.
97A5B719-6B14-47ED-9B47-A3487E5219B8.jpeg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First commercially availanle 8K project that starts shipping next month. Picture was soooooooo good.

20181116_124926.jpg

Never heard Revel speakers before and I spent about 45 minutes speaking with the founder. These were unreal, and only 5k per speaker.

20181116_125537.jpg
20181116_125519.jpg

One of the SVS subs from the new line of subs that came out on Wednesday.

20181116_133319.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Artisan Fan extolled the virtues of these $50 wooden....things... that kept cables off the ground. Someone chimed in that styrofoam cups would do the trick. Much pseudoscience and ex-post-facto self-confirmation followed.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Artisan Fan extolled the virtues of these $50 wooden....things... that kept cables off the ground. Someone chimed in that styrofoam cups would do the trick. Much pseudoscience and ex-post-facto self-confirmation followed.

Audiophile psuedoscience is the absolute best. And by best I mean the absolute worst. Apparently the placebo effect does not apply to hearing **** for some reason(s).

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not close to the home theater level, but I think I finally convinced the wife to put up a Samsung Frame tv in our living room. It would go above the fireplace (not ideal viewing level) but it would get it off the floor away from the kiddos, and give us room for another chair. I've been fighting her for literally 10 years to buy a new tv for that room. Currently rocking a 2008 Vizio 42" in that room. :eek:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads