• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you consider Moncler jackets stylish? Why?

Essentio

Reaction score
Do you consider Moncler jackets stylish? Why?

Are they better in quality than Canadian Goose?

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
I do not consider shiney garbage bag jackets with logos stylish. I tend to stay away from those.

In terms of quality wise between Moncler and Canadian Goose, I'd have to say Canadian Goose for durability.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't only make the shiny jackets.

I've got one listed at the moment which is beautiful. Metal / cotton mix outer, goose down filling, detachable fur collar, part wool lining - not a reflective surface in sight...

One size too large for me unfortunately and the I don't think it ever gets cold enough in the UK to justify keeping it - otherwise it would go straight in the wardrobe....

DSCF9752.jpg

DSCF9764.jpg

DSCF9765.jpg

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
if its not one of those shiny garbage bags, than why get a Moncler, there are alot of otehr brands that do it cheaper and better.

Isn't the shiny garbage bag a fairly new direction? I was under the impression that the earlier pieces were a lot more subdued and well made.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softbakedgoods
I do not consider shiney garbage bag jackets with logos stylish. I tend to stay away from those.

In terms of quality wise between Moncler and Canadian Goose, I'd have to say Canadian Goose for durability.

Canada Goose. Not Canadian Goose.

2009-07-24-HONK2.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
I like the new Thom Browne line for Moncler

These look the business.

blairh

Reaction score
Moncler makes very very nice coats that are not all shiny garbage bags. Unfortunately your selection from their current line is most likely limited if you are buying from retailers in the USA. If you look at the Moncler collection of coats for men this fall/winter (on their official website), you will be surprised by how nice and not shiny/trendy a lot of their coats are. Sadly AR's in the states opted mostly for the trendy shiny look, which I personally hate on men.

Canada Goose makes excellent coats, but most their nordic line is meant for extreme cold conditions. Like the expedition model for example. Also, a lot of their coats are not waterproof, which is very disappointing given you might find yourself in a wet snow, etc. Style/looks wise, Moncler always gets the edge in my book.

You would not equate Eddie Bauer coats with style. If anything, they are an option if you want to stay warm and not break the bank. If you are looking for a warm coat that will look good on you, I suggest taking a look at Patagonia, Marmot, or MontBell (in addition to Canada Goose).

Essentio, where do you live? And what will you be doing in your coat? Maybe I can offer suggestions.

ville_e

Reaction score
moncler.jpg

The Moncler Jean is a very nice coat by Moncler. Much nicer than the usual shiny jackets.
smile.gif

Both the Canada Goose & Moncler jackets are known for their warmth.

Hany

Reaction score
You can't beat Canada Goose. I absolutely love mine. I'm not afraid of winter anymore and the cold is not a barrier with this coat. I can go out without a scarf, tuque or gloves in the coldest days and not feel the cold at all. Also, the extremely high quality is apparent. You can feel that it is built to last (in Canada to boot) and it is not the trendy highly marketed type of product you would normally see. In other words: get it and enjoy it.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
You can't beat Canada Goose. I absolutely love mine. I'm not afraid of winter anymore and the cold is not a barrier with this coat. I can go out without a scarf, tuque or gloves in the coldest days and not feel the cold at all. Also, the extremely high quality is apparent. You can feel that it is built to last (in Canada to boot) and it is not the trendy highly marketed type of product you would normally see. In other words: get it and enjoy it.

That is true.. Canada Goose jackets are of exceptional quality but so are most of the Moncler jackets as well..

What I like about Canada Goose is that they have many pockets and handwarmer pockets where you can have your hands if you are not wearing gloves..

Hany

Reaction score
Yup Moncler are good also but they are way overpriced and can be seen on sale (yesterday I saw a $1600 Moncler jacket on sale for $600 after the first price markdown) while Canada Goose are never on sale.
Also the hood on the Canada Goose offers a lot of warmth and with it you won't need a hat nor additional facial protection which is great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads