• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you belong to any Gentlemen's Clubs?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I am angelicboris and I approve this message.

A few of my friends belong to Club Macanudo in NYC. Anyone can enter (there is a minimum charge) but they have a private humidor there. I've been there a few times and really enjoyed myself.

Your friends realize there's a huge prostitution scene there right?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
At the Bohemian Grove, of which I am not a member, too.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to join one of the old Tory clubs in London, just to get a taste of what the last gasps of the aristocracy are like.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
At the Bohemian Grove, of which I am not a member, too.

Yeah, I heard it's weird to see all of these tall, beautiful, and exotic women rolling into the rural area/towns around Bohemian Grove.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I am angelicboris and I approve this message.

A few of my friends belong to Club Macanudo in NYC. Anyone can enter (there is a minimum charge) but they have a private humidor there. I've been there a few times and really enjoyed myself.

What's it like there? I've wanted to go for quite sometime, but not sure who would be appropriate to bring with me. Cigar-smoking friends, the girlfriend, anyone,...

Is it better to stop in for drinks, dinner, smoke, some combination or all of the above? What is the minimum charge for regulars (non-members)?

Much appreciated.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
What's it like there? I've wanted to go for quite sometime, but not sure who would be appropriate to bring with me. Cigar-smoking friends, the girlfriend, anyone,... Is it better to stop in for drinks, dinner, smoke, some combination or all of the above? What is the minimum charge for regulars (non-members)? Much appreciated.
it's nothing special. maybe even a little small. people sit around, they smoke cigars, and have a drink. if you're lucky they might have live music. you can bring anyone you like, just don't wear jeans I think. i don't like smoky places to begin with but can't imagine why you'd go there for dinner.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've heard that iammatt belongs to Bohemian Grove.

You don't belong to the Grove, you belong the Bohemian Club. The Grove is only open two weeks a year. And, I'm pretty sure he doesn't belong anyway.

I used to have a membership at a different club. I let it drop when I moved. Not living in the city any more, it really doesn't make sense for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Yeah, I heard it's weird to see all of these tall, beautiful, and exotic women rolling into the rural area/towns around Bohemian Grove.
and boys.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You don't belong to the Grove, you belong the Bohemian Club. The Grove is only open two weeks a year. And, I'm pretty sure he doesn't belong anyway. I used to have a membership at a different club. I let it drop when I moved. Not living in the city any more, it really doesn't make sense for me.
i'm guessing the one with all the politicians. i think there was an article about it. i've been to a few of these clubs as guests of others and i'm not impressed. the worst one was geared towards young people, soho house, and had more jersey trash than you could shake a stick at.
Originally Posted by iammatt
and boys.
see i'd heard about the male on male...never the female prostitutes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I go to a lot of club events even though I am no longer a member anywhere. I rather like most of them. "Young" is not a word I would use to describe the membership.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the captains of industry and other movers and shakers who attended events at the Bohemian Grove mostly diverted themselves by holding drag shows, peeing on the redwoods, stuff like that. I know Richard Nixon described it as the "faggiest thing he'd ever seen."

If it be true that top-drawer whores flock to the event, it makes it sound a lot more appealing. I should have thought a lot of the old fellows who attend that event would hardly be up to doing justice to women of that caliber!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They aren't at the Grove itself. But the prevalance of rather leggy and expensively dressed young women at Sonoma County B&Bs during Grove weeks is something of a legend. The men sneak away from their camps for a little fun. Or so I hear.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only time ive been to a gentlemens club was when one hit me over the head with it.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've recently finished watching all of Jeeves and Wooster and Yes Minister/Prime Minister and definately see the appeal of these places. I have to say that the Drones club makes me laugh with all the lads playing cricket with bread rolls.

I think a place where you could go for a quiet drink after work where you know a few of the guys and the staff know who you are and what you like, definately has a bit of an appeal to me, though I'm not currently a member of any such places. Pretty tough getting membership to places like the Melbourne Club or Savages here in Oz.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I always thought the captains of industry and other movers and shakers who attended events at the Bohemian Grove mostly diverted themselves by holding drag shows, peeing on the redwoods, stuff like that. I know Richard Nixon described it as the "faggiest thing he'd ever seen." If it be true that top-drawer whores flock to the event, it makes it sound a lot more appealing. I should have thought a lot of the old fellows who attend that event would hardly be up to doing justice to women of that caliber!
I'll bet Larry Craig and his ilk were the stars of those events. One has to wonder about that kind of thing; it seems very undignified and base especially when it involves people such as described as above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads