• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do they have drop 10 suits?

Akulala

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a 42/43r working on getting bigger and I hate to mix and match jackets with pants I need a good suit but I think this drop 6 BS on a extra slim suit is so dumb. What extra slim guy that rocks a 42r has a waist that's 36! I know on a regular fit suit that makes sense but to me I don't see why they still do this on these slim fit and extra slim fit suits.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
The drops you see fit most men pretty well, and it's convenient for some off-the-rack sellers to sell that way.

You can just buy separates, or go MTM / bespoke. What's your budget?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's the thing: if by "getting bigger" you mean getting muscular, even getting separates won't work for you without some tailoring. The standard proportions are that the chest and seat are roughly the same circumference (sometime there is an inch or two difference), the waist is 6" smaller than the chest and/or seat. You mentioned a 10" drop suit- if you were to buy a 42 coat with a 32 trouser, that trouser would have been designed for a 38" seat whereas you seat which is 4" too small. This is the dilemma all lifters face- you have to buy pants that are several inches too big in the waist in order to fit the seat and the thigh, and have the waist taken in. So you might still be fine buying a 6" drop suit and taking the waist in. Or, as Daniel suggested, MTM.

And rather than looking for slim fit, which will probably be too tight in the bicep and thigh, look for athletic fit. It's different.

Akulala

Reaction score
My budget isn't as grandiose as I would like it to be, around 500$. I don't consider myself very buff a 42 inch suit isn't that big and my biceps are 15 inches so nothing obscene I like to look like the suit fits me. Maybe MTM is the right way but I have never even considered that. Right now I am a bit smaller than usual because I have been busy working on the whole CPA game so not much time for extensive exercise.

Would it be smarter to go with mtm locally in LA or would something in Europe/Germany be cheaper

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Start by going to Men’s Wearhouse. They sell suit separates and have two levels of MTM which might fit your budget. And if they screw it up it’s on them whereas if you go with some of the online options you’re rolling the dice.

Quipster

Reaction score
I have similar measurements and have had success buying as separates 42 jacket, 34 pants - tailor takes out 2 inches at the waist.

If you want to avoid big alterations maybe you could try Bonobos? They sell separates and have Athletic Fit available. Starts to get a bit above price range though...

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing: if by "getting bigger" you mean getting muscular, even getting separates won't work for you without some tailoring. The standard proportions are that the chest and seat are roughly the same circumference (sometime there is an inch or two difference), the waist is 6" smaller than the chest and/or seat. You mentioned a 10" drop suit- if you were to buy a 42 coat with a 32 trouser, that trouser would have been designed for a 38" seat whereas you seat which is 4" too small. This is the dilemma all lifters face- you have to buy pants that are several inches too big in the waist in order to fit the seat and the thigh, and have the waist taken in. So you might still be fine buying a 6" drop suit and taking the waist in. Or, as Daniel suggested, MTM.

And rather than looking for slim fit, which will probably be too tight in the bicep and thigh, look for athletic fit. It's different.

I was about to say this: from my experience, I can never get trousers to fit properly. Jackets aren't as bad, imo because its easier to take in the waist in a jacket than it is adjusting the waist / seat / quads of a trouser.

My suggestion for you is go to Suitsupply & buy 2 suits: 1 navy, 1 gray. Yes, they're boring, but you'll thank me later. Then, save up for bespoke.

ScienceGuy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a 42/43r working on getting bigger and I hate to mix and match jackets with pants I need a good suit but I think this drop 6 BS on a extra slim suit is so dumb. What extra slim guy that rocks a 42r has a waist that's 36! I know on a regular fit suit that makes sense but to me I don't see why they still do this on these slim fit and extra slim fit suits.

Any suggestions?
I purchased all wool slim separates at JC Penney in medium gray and black. I'm 42/32, I workout with weights and cardio daily, so I have some muscle. Both the jacket and pants come in regular and slim fit, I wear the slim for both. One more nicety, the pants inseams come in lengths 34, 32 or 30, so I wear the suits without any alteration.

Purchase on Sundays and use their coupons for the best deal, it will run you about $140 total.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads