• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do designers write? Fashion Theory/Academia/Literature

poppies

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has ever studied the academic literature of fashion. I guess I'm just thinking that in art/architecture there's always been an extensive amount of critical and theoretical writing, especially from the artists/architects themselves, and I'm wondering if there are any designers that write fun pretentious manifestos or significant critical writing that have pushed the craft in new directions.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poppies
I'm curious if anyone has ever studied the academic literature of fashion. I guess I'm just thinking that in art/architecture there's always been an extensive amount of critical and theoretical writing, especially from the artists/architects themselves, and I'm wondering if there are any designers that write fun pretentious manifestos or significant critical writing that have pushed the craft in new directions.

Academic literature about fashion is woefully lacking, and what little there is is pretty vacuous. There are more sophisticated treatises written in the MC part of this forum.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an MFA in critical studies from a pretty famous art school, my emphasis and my thesis was on fashion theory, both with critical writing and with creative writing/digital art.

A good place to start is with Roland Barthes and Dick Hebdige. Also Valerie Steele edited a lot of good books on the subject.

It's pretentious and works on picking up on garmentos.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father was an architect, so I read a bunch of architectural monographs when I was a kid. Judging solely from the comparable literature for fashion, fashion designers tend to be less intellectually inclined

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Academic literature about fashion is woefully lacking, and what little there is is pretty vacuous. There are more sophisticated treatises written in the MC part of this forum.

epic fail.

poppies

Reaction score
My father was an architect, so I read a bunch of architectural monographs when I was a kid. Judging solely from the comparable literature for fashion, fashion designers tend to be less intellectually inclined

I had a feeling this was the case, but I was hoping I was wrong.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
epic fail.

Maybe. Let me rephrase. There are some interesting works about fashion, but not really from the point of view of a fashion designer. Roland Barthes and Dick Hebdige wrote interesting works about fashion, but they were not immersed in the fashion world.

Edit: I would be loved to be proven wrong, but I am pretty sure that if I started talking about Barthes ideas about the bourgeousie to a fashion designer, I would be met with a face palm. I tried, at some point, to present a dumbed down version of this years ago, (ay have been lost with the great crash), but just got frustrated.

jkennett

Reaction score
Labelking read my mind.

Lagerfeld is certainly a very intelligent and well-read man. However, in my opinion he doesn't contribute much to fashion theory despite his owning a publishing house and writing quite a bit. I feel that most of his commentary is just a gimmick to feed the press with his "strange genius" and general eclecticism.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You also have a number of "avant-garde" or "progressive" designers who are fond of spouting off critical theory and such. I think I even recall Heidegger being involved, and also Walter Benjamin.

WishEllis

Reaction score
Indeed Benjamin has some great things to say about fashion (by way of cultural materialism/spectrality etc...).

From the Arcades Project

"Boredom is a warm grey fabric lined on the inside with the most lustrous and colorful of silks. In this fabric we wrap ourselves when we dream. We are at home then in the arabesques of its lining. But the sleeper looks bored and grey within his sheath. And when he later wakes and wants to tell of what he dreamed, he communicates by and large only this boredom. For who would be able at one stroke to turn the living of time to the outside? Yet to narrate dreams signifies nothing else."

Also on a similar theme

"Every fashion couples the living body to the inorganic world. To the living, fashion defends the rights of the corpse."

And in a more obviously playful way:

"In my formulation: 'The eternal is in any case far more the ruffle on some dress than some idea.'"

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Let me rephrase. There are some interesting works about fashion, but not really from the point of view of a fashion designer. Roland Barthes and Dick Hebdige wrote interesting works about fashion, but they were not immersed in the fashion world. Edit: I would be loved to be proven wrong, but I am pretty sure that if I started talking about Barthes ideas about the bourgeousie to a fashion designer, I would be met with a face palm. I tried, at some point, to present a dumbed down version of this years ago, (ay have been lost with the great crash), but just got frustrated.
Barthes crew represent. <3

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WishEllis
Indeed Benjamin has some great things to say about fashion (by way of cultural materialism/spectrality etc...).

From the Arcades Project

"Boredom is a warm grey fabric lined on the inside with the most lustrous and colorful of silks. In this fabric we wrap ourselves when we dream. We are at home then in the arabesques of its lining. But the sleeper looks bored and grey within his sheath. And when he later wakes and wants to tell of what he dreamed, he communicates by and large only this boredom. For who would be able at one stroke to turn the living of time to the outside? Yet to narrate dreams signifies nothing else."

Also on a similar theme

"Every fashion couples the living body to the inorganic world. To the living, fashion defends the rights of the corpse."

And in a more obviously playful way:

"In my formulation: 'The eternal is in any case far more the ruffle on some dress than some idea.'"

rollbarf1.gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Barthes crew represent. <3

2nd.

I'm a PhD student in cultural sociology, so that's basically the "it" text regarding fashion for the people I interact with.

Also, I wrote a paper last semester on the negotiation of meaning and the definition of the eponymous term for Ask Andy's Trad Forum. If I someday fix it up and publish it, I'll post the link here.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads