• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between business and casual suits?

lemonbishop

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am looking to get some suits into the wardrobe, and I need some help getting some direction. I do not need a suit for work. I am looking for suits to wear after work, out with the wife, dinner, family obligations (inlaw gatherings, weddings) etc., and I am looking to avoid showing up in a 'power suit', or something even more inappropriate. So, I am wondering what elements distinguish a more casual suit from the business suit.

By casual, I don't mean cotton khaki, or other obviously casual suits.

I assume that everything matters, from the cut, the color(s), position of the armholes, gorge, lapels, shoulder padding, etc. Or perhaps, there is not as much distinction between casual and business suits as I imagine there to be, apart from the more obvious cotton, linen, retro-mod, or other obviously not-for-business types of suits.

As far as brands go, are there brands I should investigate or ignore? Are RL Purple Label suits more business than casual, or is it more a matter of the color/fabric? Is RL Black Label more casual, or again, suit to suit?

I am wide open on price at this point. I am trying to learn more about what is what at this point.

thanks for any input

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Other than some detail like patch pockets with flaps, I think the main difference is the fabric. I have a three piece gray flannel that I think would work for business, but that I wear just for social occasions. It is pretty versatile with respect to the shirts and ties you can combine it with and depending on the weight of the cloth and the climate, works well as a nine month suit.

If you want a suit that is a bit more casual, you might consider tweed, which can also be a nine month suit. A corduroy suit would be even be more casual.

Cheers, Jim.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Might want to check out the Thick as Thieves website. The proprietor is a member here (Get Smart). He offers a "conservative cut" for business use and another cut for more stylish situations. I'm waiting on my first TaT suit myself (for business use). He'll be able to fill you in.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notch lapels rather than peak, checked pattern rather than stripes, a color not charcoal or navy would all put a suit into a more "casual" mode than the typical charcoal pinstripe "power suit".

Personal opinion only but sack suits always look more casual to my eye than highly fitted suits as well.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Peak lapels rather than notched, checked pattern rather than stripes, a color not charcoal or navy would all put a suit into a more "casual" mode than the typical charcoal pinstripe "power suit".

Personal opinion only but sack suits always look more casual to my eye than highly fitted suits as well.

I'm pretty sure that's what you meant. I'd include smooth fabric rather than textured.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads