• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between pull-ups and chin-ups?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides chin-ups being easier, what's the difference in terms of muscle groups worked with each?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pullups = palms face you.

Chinups = palms face away from you.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Pullups = palms face you.

Chinups = palms face away from you.

Not according to the US military and a lot of other people. I stopped trying to differentiate between the two based on name because everyone tends to think of something different with each term.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Not according to the US military and a lot of other people. I stopped trying to differentiate between the two based on name because everyone tends to think of something different with each term.

Yea, I thought the opposite, pull-ups: palms face away, chin-ups: palms face you.

Beyond that, the only thing I know for sure is that the palms facing away are harder, but am not really sure the difference in what they work, or what the benefits are.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palms facing you will work the lower lats better than the palms facing away, which hits the upper lats more.

mgoose

Reaction score
Also pullups tend to use a wider grip. When I do chinups my hands are around shoulder width apart, but with pull ups they are more outside. And it's better to think of different exercises are targeting different movements rather than muscle groups as similar exercises with different grips just change the type of movement.

And from technical point of view, "chinups target shoulder extension on the sagitall plane. pullups target shoulder adduction on the frontal plane."

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I hold a bar in chinup position (palms facing me), I feel like it pulls my shoulders back and together automatically, where a pullup (facing away) requires me to actively pull my shoulders together.

I'm wondering if this is why chins are usually considered easier - with less than perfect form, perhaps the palms facing you (and inherently closer grip) recruits your back muscles more?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a pullup, you pull your chin to the bar, whereas in a chinup it's the reverse.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz

I'm wondering if this is why chins are usually considered easier - with less than perfect form, perhaps the palms facing you (and inherently closer grip) recruits your back muscles more?

I always figured chins were easier because they get a little more help from the bicep.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the palm faces away from you, you are forced to use more forearm and less bicep and it makes it more awkward/less natural.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
When the palm faces away from you, you are forced to use more forearm and less bicep and it decreases leverage.

FTFY (I'm guessing that's what you mean)

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, what I'm learning from this thread (as well as some perusing on body-building forums) is that if I do strength training a few times a week, and want a compound back exercise, alternate between these two for variety, but both give good workouts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads