• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did my tailor screw up the sleeve here?

SFA

Reaction score
So I bought a BOSS Hugo Boss blazer from a local consignment store (I know I know.. The general attitude towards Boss HB is not very good here. And I am sure I over paid way too much even for a consignment store. But it fit me good and it's my first blazer/sport jacket purchase).

Anyway. The sleeve length of the blazer was about 1 inch too long. Took it to this local old school italian tailor. Promised he can do it, but indicated that I would have to lose 1 button on the sleeve (it was originally 4 buttons). It is a 2 button sport jacket, and he indicated it's fine to have 3 buttons.

Anyway. I got the jacket back, and I was really dissapointed in how close the button is to the bottom of the sleeve. Isn't the general rule to be atleast 1" to 1.75" of fabric to be left from the bottom of the sleeve to the last button?

Any opinions or suggestions. I don't want to throw away the jacket, but if it looks really odd (I would like to wear this in my office for days when I want to dress up or change it a bit) then I should maybe just give it up? I did pay $300 for it from the consignment store, as it was in basically brand new condition, and I am really dissapointed a $25 alteration would screw up this purchase.

Here's a pic I took.

viator

Reaction score
If it bothers you, just have the bottom button removed and re-attached above the top button.

SFA

Reaction score
There are no working button holes. It's been about a few weeks, and I really don't want to go back to him for this work to be done.

I never realized you can actually move the bottom button to the top, therefore it will leave about 1" fabric.

I know he explained to me for sure that I would lose one button (which was fine). I didn't realize he would just leave only .50" of fabric.

For me personally it doesn't bother me too much, but again I don't really know much about style and fashion (still learning) and I don't really want to look off in my office when I am around guys who are in suits everyday.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
99% of people would never notice. Nor would they know what they were "noticing" if they did.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
99% of people would never notice. Nor would they know what they were "noticing" if they did.

Unless you run into SF members......
smile.gif

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
If it bothers you, just have the bottom button removed and re-attached above the top button.
+1. Can't tell if there are button holes from the pic since it seems very dark. If there are none, I don't know why he didn't just move them.

Now since its a sport coat, can you exchange all the buttons and put 4 back on the sleeve? Talk to a new tailor.

rlx

Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad. What the tailor needed to do is remove the fake buttonhole stitching. Then he could have placed the buttons correctly. I think some tailors are either lazy and don't want to remove the fake stitching, or they think the fake stitching is a good thing and want to preserve it at the expense of having the sleeve buttons misaligned. I always have the fake stitching removed.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler

+1. I wouldn't worry about it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator

do this^^^. not that bad looking.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It dose look a littel low but nothing to get all upset about, you can alwasy haev them replaced or moved if it is that big of a deal to you.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor did you no disservice. He told you what he proposed to do, and he did it, though he could have given you more of an explanation. Because the coat has faux button holes, it was necessary for the tailor to remove not just the original bottom button but also the "button hole" stitching for that button in order not to have the bottom button/button hole on the shortened sleeve virtually at the end of the sleeve. That leaves three buttons with their attendant button hole stitching, as your photograph shows. Adding any sleeve button above what is now the top button on the altered coat, whether it is a fourth button or just the bottom button moved to the top, and having it match the button/button holes that are there, would require not just sewing on the button but also creating a faux buttonhole in the same thread color and stitch pattern as those that exist (and removing the button hole stitching for the present bottom button if that one is moved to the top). The tailor either did not want to do that work or did not think it worth the added expense to you since, on a sport coat, one, two, three, or four buttons are all completely appropriate. There is one additional consideration applicable to adding a button or two at the top, and that is the length of the sleeve vent. A button at or above the top of the vent would certainly appear misplaced. As to the distance of the present bottom button from the sleeve end, it's close enough for jazz:

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlx
What the tailor needed to do is remove the fake buttonhole stitching. Then he could have placed the buttons correctly. I think some tailors are either lazy and don't want to remove the fake stitching, or they think the fake stitching is a good thing and want to preserve it at the expense of having the sleeve buttons misaligned. I always have the fake stitching removed.

Or they realize that the more stitching is removed, the more chance there is to damage the fabric in the process. Because the posted picture is so dark, I can't tell if any trace is left from the stitching that this tailor did remove; but, even if there is not, why increase the risk as to the other "button holes"? Pros and cons of faux button holes aside, I think this tailor served his client well by keeping the sleeve shortening alteration as simple and risk free as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads