• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim in Philadelphia?

tailwind

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm looking for shop(s) in philly that sell some, if any, of the brands of jeans mentioned here on SF or any shops of interest in the city.

I will be in the city for the 4th of july and following weekend. I have only been there a few times and am unfamilar with the city. I plan on checking out Boyds and Sparacino, but other than that i'm not sure where to go, for shopping.

Any tips or stores to check out, regardless of location, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
You basically have two options for StyleForum-approved denim in Philly: Deep Sleep and Matthew Izzo. Deep Sleep carries Sugarcane and I'm forgetting what else; there was talk of them carrying APC, but I don't think they've got it yet. You might try calling them. 54 N 3rd. St. 215-351-9124 Matthew Izzo carries Acne, Nudie, and apparently they're getting or now have Julian Red. 117 s 13th st 215-629-1240 That's pretty much it.
plain.gif

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Yeah, I went on a massive excursion around Philly the other week and the only thing I can add to those in that Ubiq on Walnut St. (between 15th and 16th) carries LVC 501 STF.

Deep Sleep and Sugarcube (which is women's only right now) are both going to get APC in the Fall...at least that's what they told me.

Yep, Philly is pretty bad for denim. Which is why I'm going to NY in a couple weeks and plan to get a pair of R&B/45RPM/5EP.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
The Third Street Habit apparently carries Rag & Bone.

If that info is from their website, it's probably really out of date, but I'll check it out if I get a chance. IIRC, Third Street Habit only carries women's clothing.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Says both male and female ********** & Bone web site, but it must be incorrect.

FWIW, New York is about an hour and twenty minutes from Philly on the Acela.

tailwind

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys all.

I'll have to make a point to check out Matthew Izzo, Ubiq, and Deep Sleep.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
prps bought at deep sleep's memorial day sale. that place is just getting better and better.

591892118_688787e22f.jpg
591620221_926cff78ca.jpg

soonami

Reaction score
Nice poly, the creasing looks great so far, I bet the fade will be awesome. The only thing that I can say is that the seat looks a little baggy, but that might be because you were just sitting before the pic was taken. Either way they are looking great.

I'm disappointed though, I saw and liked those, but alas I was too fat to fit

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Says both male and female ********** & Bone web site, but it must be incorrect.

FWIW, New York is about an hour and twenty minutes from Philly on the Acela.

I never understood why ANYONE would take the Acela from Philly to NY. The Acela is $120 each way; regular Amtrak is $68 and only gets you there 10-15 mins later.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I never understood why ANYONE would take the Acela from Philly to NY. The Acela is $120 each way; regular Amtrak is $68 and only gets you there 10-15 mins later.

and taking septa from downtown philly to trenton and then njtransit from trenton to NY penn station is less than $20 one way ($7 for the septa part and $12.50 for the njtransit part, and there are round trip discounts for njtransit) and takes 2.5 hours if you time it right (septa runs hourly on the weekend, njtransit runs every half hour, and leaves about 10-15 minutes after the septa arrives).

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
and taking septa from downtown philly to trenton and then njtransit from trenton to NY penn station is less than $20 one way ($7 for the septa part and $12.50 for the njtransit part, and there are round trip discounts for njtransit) and takes 2.5 hours if you time it right (septa runs hourly on the weekend, njtransit runs every half hour, and leaves about 10-15 minutes after the septa arrives).
...And Greyhound has online specials that are $20 round trip, and will usually get you there faster than the SEPTA to NJT route. And with less chance for breakdown (both SEPTA and NJT have broken down on me twice on that route, on three separate occasions... which, yes, means that once both SEPTA and NJT broke down in the same trip). Greyhound is a lot more hit/miss than the trains, though. It's usually faster, obviously depending on traffic, and sometimes it's actually more comfortable and private, but it can be fairly hellish if the bus is packed and there are crying children involved.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
...And Greyhound has online specials that are $20 round trip, and will usually get you there faster than the SEPTA to NJT route. And with less chance for breakdown (both SEPTA and NJT have broken down on me twice on that route, on three separate occasions... which, yes, means that once both SEPTA and NJT broke down in the same trip).

Greyhound is a lot more hit/miss than the trains, though. It's usually faster, obviously depending on traffic, and sometimes it's actually more comfortable and private, but it can be fairly hellish if the bus is packed and there are crying children involved.

really, greyhound? i stayed from them when i lived in philly, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus the fact that it is hell if you get on it and your trip puts you on 95 during rush hour (almost always the time i was travelling). i never had a problem with the septa/nj-transit thing. of course, most of the time i was going to ny i got on somewhere further up the line on septa - i think at torresdale, which helps avoid that breakdown point which is almost always in north philly.

i did greyhound a lot earlier in the decade, takjng the express DC to NYC. it's fairly decent for that trip, with a break in the middle. as long as you aim to get into the city before 4 pm.

nowadays, i just take amtrak or even the acela everywhere between dc and philly and nyc.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
...And Greyhound has online specials that are $20 round trip, and will usually get you there faster than the SEPTA to NJT route. And with less chance for breakdown (both SEPTA and NJT have broken down on me twice on that route, on three separate occasions... which, yes, means that once both SEPTA and NJT broke down in the same trip).

Greyhound is a lot more hit/miss than the trains, though. It's usually faster, obviously depending on traffic, and sometimes it's actually more comfortable and private, but it can be fairly hellish if the bus is packed and there are crying children involved.

The people you meet on the Greyhound are some of the most odd, bizarre, and terrifying scrapings of the barrel of the American Life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads