• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadlifts with lifting gloves

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
We hate them.

Simply, there is nothing wrong with calluses.

Why the hell does anyone on god's green earth do curls in the power cage/squat rack/etc. People who do that are sent to a special level of hell, reserved for child molesters and people who talk on the phone at the gym.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
If using gloves are for wimps and queers, I'd hate to know what you guys think about people who go to the gym to just work out their biceps doing curls in the squat rack. No offense, but I don't want anything to ever come close to the calluses on the bottom of my feet to be on my hands. I prefer not to be a burly, wild, grizzly lumberjack of a man :| ...

have you considered pilates?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang, so much hate here guys! Are deadlifts really *that* hard? I incorporate compound exercises into my workout (squat, bench press, and weighted pull-ups among all others), but I specifically have been avoiding deadlifts simply because I really do NOT want calluses. I noticed a couple years ago when I started lifting that they were "growing" on my hand, and gloves put a quick stop to that. I don't think my performance has dropped any, besides lack of dealifts, and on top of that I don't have to deal with having rough calluses.

If using gloves are for wimps and queers, I'd hate to know what you guys think about people who go to the gym to just work out their biceps doing curls in the squat rack. No offense, but I don't want anything to ever come close to the calluses on the bottom of my feet to be on my hands. I prefer not to be a burly, wild, grizzly lumberjack of a man :| ...

I am a huge ****** and I have no problem with a little callous. It's not like your hands turn to scabs, lol. You are a bigger ***** than me.

Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I did curls in the squat rack last night.

But I also squatted, pressed and did chins.

Die.

Originally Posted by Kajak
Why the hell does anyone on god's green earth do curls in the power cage/squat rack/etc. People who do that are sent to a special level of hell, reserved for child molesters and people who talk on the phone at the gym.

Yes. They should be shot.

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
have you considered pilates?

+1, and/or ritual suicide.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
people who talk on the phone at the gym.

I once saw someone talk on the phone while he was doing biceps curls with his other arm. He would switch arms after a set.

I shave my calluses down when they get too big with one of those metal pedicure things you get at the drugstore. Don't use gloves.

--Andre

icepick

Reaction score
I incorporate compound exercises into my workout (squat, bench press, and weighted pull-ups among all others),

You wear gloves while doing pull ups?
facepalm.gif

blackwar12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by icepick
You wear gloves while doing pull ups?
facepalm.gif

I use gloves for everything that exerts force on my hands, which is basically everything except for ab workouts
laugh.gif
I use gloves for chin-up too, of course
wink.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I did curls in the squat rack last night. But I also squatted, pressed and did chins.
So you did 3 exercises in the squat rack that could've been done with any of the other 45 lb bars in the gym dedicated to those exercises? Thanks, People who actually use the squat rack for squats xoxo

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
So you did 3 exercises in the squat rack that could've been done with any of the other 45 lb bars in the gym dedicated to those exercises?

If there were anyone else at the gym at 1AM, I'm sure they would not mind using one of the 11 other squat/power racks, and any of the other 15 or so olympic bars.
smile.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I use gloves for everything that exerts force on my hands, which is basically everything except for ab workouts
laugh.gif
I use gloves for chin-up too, of course
wink.gif

Gloves are fine. They will not eliminate callouses but they will help a little. They also help to improve your grip strength a little. There is nothing wrong with them but if you are going to deadlift heavy you are going to need straps.

*****Caution - Non Group Think to follow ******

Heavy deadlifts are great for getting bigger and stronger but I think their overall benefit is overrated because they are also a very risky exercise. A herniated disc in your back is the gift that keeps on giving.

If your goal is to take on the world , wrestle bears and strut around then deadlift. If it is to maintain a healthy and relatively strong physique for the longterm I would strategically avoid them. Its so easy to have a momentary slip in lifting form (particularly when pushing your limits) and really screw yourself over.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
*****Caution - Non Group Think to follow ******

Heavy deadlifts are great for getting bigger and stronger but I think their overall benefit is overrated because they are also a very risky exercise. A herniated disc in your back is the gift that keeps on giving.

If your goal is to take on the world , wrestle bears and strut around then deadlift. If it is to maintain a healthy and relatively strong physique for the longterm I would strategically avoid them. Its so easy to have a momentary slip in lifting form (particularly when pushing your limits) and really screw yourself over.

Once you know how to do it correctly it's like riding a bike. Bend to pick up, keep back straight, look forward, start motion with legs, go slow... and that's about it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Heavy deadlifts are great for getting bigger and stronger but I think their overall benefit is overrated because they are also a very risky exercise. A herniated disc in your back is the gift that keeps on giving. If your goal is to take on the world , wrestle bears and strut around then deadlift. If it is to maintain a healthy and relatively strong physique for the longterm I would strategically avoid them. Its so easy to have a momentary slip in lifting form (particularly when pushing your limits) and really screw yourself over.
Look what laser printer deadlifts did for sho'nuff's buttocks and lower back.
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ok so been doing some deadlifts over the past 2 months, and i notice that it is a good developer of core muscles even at the lightweight level. doesnt need to get big or be able to lift like an ox for effectiveness. noticed the differences on backside which enhances how i look more in certain clothing
stiffleggeddeadliftspicfromhome.jpg
rough diagram that aspect , the definition in the lower back backbone area above the buttocks is key for model-look. killer.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Shonuff looks a lot like the iceman they dug out of that glacier in the alps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads