• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Stain on Whiskey Shell PTBs

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today after lunch I noticed a dark stain that is either from ketchup or piss, I dunno

These are Vass Whiskey Shells. The only thing I've tried is a damp cotton cloth, to buff it out, but that did almost nothing...

Is there a recommeded cleaning solution for this, or just let it go away over time?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
try spot cleaning it with pure rubbing alcohol. do it several times ; it will not come out at once, but maybe after a few days of doing this.

spot will not entirely disappear but at least it will be not as noticeable.

I will give that a shot then, will try doing it once a day for a few days

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
let us know how it turns out.

another thing, i just noticed you said that you noticed today, as in, it happened today.

it may be dark and noticeable as it is fresh, but after it settles in (a few days), it should be somewhat noticeable just by way of default anyways (not doing anything to it).

also, i dont think it's piss, as piss is just a sort of dirty salt water (but not enough salt to do any damage)

and
ketchup is too viscous to work its way into the leather that fast after lunch. also you would have noticed a clump of ketchup on top unless it got wiped somehow, then in that case, you would see some wipe marks. not just solid circle marks.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same stain on my wallet. It was done by Honeyed Tea. I never managed to clean it. Hope you find a solution.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let us know how it turns out.

another thing, i just noticed you said that you noticed today, as in, it happened today.

it may be dark and noticeable as it is fresh, but after it settles in (a few days), it should be somewhat noticeable just by way of default anyways (not doing anything to it).

also, i dont think it's piss, as piss is just a sort of dirty salt water (but not enough salt to do any damage)

and
ketchup is too viscous to work its way into the leather that fast after lunch. also you would have noticed a clump of ketchup on top unless it got wiped somehow, then in that case, you would see some wipe marks. not just solid circle marks.

Actually now that you bring it up, it might be from the hot dogs I grilled at lunch, possibly the juice spilled a bit on them?

I know, I know ... I only live 3mi from work so I go home a lot for lunch

sellahi22

Reaction score
try using a firm-bristle toothbrush to buff it out. no need to be gentle with cordovan.

sellahi22

Reaction score
it is not sediment that is lodged in there. no need for a tootbrush. just use rubbing alcohol and buff with a spot cotton finger to disolve the stain a bit
are you sure your advice isn't for traditional leather as opposed to cordovan? my understanding is that cleaning cordovan really involves removing some of the oil/wax. the cordovan care guides i've seen all say to aggressively brush to remove spots/scuffs.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Care of Shell Cordovan

Here are the "don'ts" of shell cordovan care:

1. Do not use 'neutral' polish
2. Do not clean cordovan shoes using saddle soap
3. Do not attempt to clean cordovan shoes using petroleum distillates or cleaning fluids
4. Do not use any spray shines or aerosol type waterproofs
5. Do not attempt to dry wet shell cordovan shoes with heat or a heater. Wipe them dry, and allow them to dry naturally
6. Do not attempt to polish shell cordovan shoes while wet

For cleaning shell cordovan shoes, Alden recommends using only a damp soft cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads