• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Mao suit

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mao suits are still worn in China today, but you won't see any for sale. The one's that are worn are those that were acquired long ago, and is mostly worn by people who are as old, and often times, older than the suits it selves. These are mostly old people who can't afford/don't care to update their wardrobe. I think the SYS version seen in the pic can be made stylish and contemporary, given it's similarity (more or less) to the European Military aesthetics. But if you wear it in China, it is definitely farmer-chic rather than military-chic. The Chinese youth would much prefer to wear a "Tang Zhuang", complete with scarfs worn a la the poet, if they want to hark back to a more glorious time.

On another note, most migrant workers in China wear double breasted western sack suits, unbuttoned, with purple-ish polo shirts underneath. A decidedly Trad look if you well.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You can get updated Mao-type suits and jackets from labels like Shanghai Tang and other rather overpriced Chinese brands.

That would be like recommending Armani when someone comes here to ask for a source for Italian suits, no?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
The Chinese youth would much prefer to wear a "Tang Zhuang", complete with scarfs worn a la the poet, if they want to hark back to a more glorious time.
Like this?
tang2.jpg

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hum, more like the version worn by the Chinese men in this picture, obviously not the one sitting in the front row (the one on second row left is poet and playboy Xu Zhimo):

200607060020_6057.jpg

The one pictured by Jared is what is normally referred to as "mian ao" or a cotton lined coat for winter times. But I guess "Tang Zhuang" can be used as a general term since Tang means Chinese, and Zhuang means clothing.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like the Touareg.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
That's really going too far. I suppose he would never purchase anything from Bayer and Volkswagon, either. One should not live in fear of what dunces may find horrific.
Nazi Leica cameras have the distinction of being extremely collectable.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I suppose if Volkswagon came out with the Panzermobile, he'd demur as well.

They already came out with the New Beetle..

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I had a Mao hat that I wore every day in 6th grade... just thought it looked cool... my former teacher reminded me of this when my wife and I attended his retirement party last year...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Mao suits are still worn in China today, but you won't see any for sale. The one's that are worn are those that were acquired long ago, and is mostly worn by people who are as old, and often times, older than the suits it selves. These are mostly old people who can't afford/don't care to update their wardrobe. I think the SYS version seen in the pic can be made stylish and contemporary, given it's similarity (more or less) to the European Military aesthetics. But if you wear it in China, it is definitely farmer-chic rather than military-chic. The Chinese youth would much prefer to wear a "Tang Zhuang", complete with scarfs worn a la the poet, if they want to hark back to a more glorious time.

On another note, most migrant workers in China wear double breasted western sack suits, unbuttoned, with purple-ish polo shirts underneath. A decidedly Trad look if you well.

I recall Mao jackets and hats (blue w/red star) can be bought in tourist stores, at least in Shanghai. I think one even needs a foreign passport to enter or perhaps just to buy there. Among locals, I too only recall seeing the elderly wearing such jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads