• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Mao suit

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am contemplating having a Mao suit made. I would wear it primarily as a costume, not really as serious wear. I have a friend in Shanghai who can have a tailor make one to my measurements. He expects it would cost less than RMB 300. Those of you in Shanghai, is there a low cost tailor you would recommend? Including shipping, the cost to me would be less than USD 100, which is quite reasonable. What material is typically used, cotton or wool? I suppose olive is the archetypal color. I generally think of the Mao suit as more flattering for a portly fellow; would it work for a svelte person? Perhaps my perception of that is heavily influenced by images of Mao, who was quite plump through most of his life. He was slender in his earlier years:
11wdlmao.JPG
Sun Yat-Sen also looks quite dapper here:
11szsszs.JPG
It really has a very military quality to it. The four pocket design is not unlike the M65 which, when well-cut, is an excellent streetwear jacket.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the design of it, the only thing I don't like is the placement of the hip pockets. They're on the side, so if you put anything in them you will look hippy.

With pockets empty, a Mao should look fine on such a svelte thing as yourself.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many people still wears these suits in China.

Mao suit, the name, is a foreign mistranslation. In Chinese, the suits are called Sun Yat-Sen suits as he is the claimed inventor.

This is quite a different situation than Nazi uniforms. You also should not vilify Mao as much as you would Hitler.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

This is quite a different situation than Nazi uniforms. You also should not vilify Mao as much as you would Hitler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong

Many people now hold Mao to be responsible for more deaths than Hitler.

This is not a political forum so this will be my last post on this subject.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've defended this point in other threads before. If you wish, you may search for them and reply there.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Many people still wears these suits in China.

Mao suit, the name, is a foreign mistranslation. In Chinese, the suits are called Sun Yat-Sen suits as he is the claimed inventor.

well i dont know where you get this misconception from, perhap you have spent too much time in the villages where the water bufflow roam freely! but i have been to some many place in CHina both the big and small cities, also i have been to countless village too in Mao home town and i have never seen an large amount of people wear the "MAO" suit, suit yes western suits but never these!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
well i dont know where you get this misconception from, perhap you have spent too much time in the villages where the water bufflow roam freely! but i have been to some many place in CHina both the big and small cities, also i have been to countless village too in Mao home town and i have never seen an large amount of people wear the "MAO" suit, suit yes western suits but never these!
They are mostly worn by the elderly. The neighbors of my grandmother in Shanghai were wearing them when I visited them earlier this year. They are certainly not wear by the majority but have hardly disappeared entirely.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
on the building site in shanghai have you ever seen the workers wearing suit to to the labouring?

also the only time i have seen the Mao suit is in BeiJing in navy blue, i think this is 1 reason why i am not a fan of navy!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
also sorry i should add also the Mao should be in Navy poly-wool! with plastic buttons!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Mao suit should be comfortable enough to be worn while doing glorious hard labor, like harvesting rice and mining. They should also not be taken in at the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads