• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocket & Jones handgrade vs benchgrade

sf_esq

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a couple of pairs of the benchgrades and I ordered and returned a pair of the handgrades (due to fit), and there is a noticeable difference in quality. The benchgrades are very nice shoes, the handgrades are exceptional. The handgrades were made of thicker leather (the shoes were noticeably heavier) and they are fully leather lined, versus partially lined, like the benchgrades. If they fit you, and you order from Pediwear or Plal, the handgrades are worth the small difference in price, IMO.

Ged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
I ordered and returned a pair of the handgrades (due to fit). If they fit you, and you order from Pediwear or Plal, the handgrades are worth the small difference in price, IMO.

Were they too wide or too narrow? I'm very interested in handgrades but have a wide foot, a 7.5G in Church and 8G in GG. I was hoping I might squeeze in to an 8E in CJ. Over email, a CJ staffer suggested they ran a little wide although that runs contrary to what I've read here about the 337.

Cheers

Ged

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged
Were they too wide or too narrow? I'm very interested in handgrades but have a wide foot, a 7.5G in Church and 8G in GG. I was hoping I might squeeze in to an 8E in CJ. Over email, a CJ staffer suggested they ran a little wide although that runs contrary to what I've read here about the 337.

Cheers

Ged

Take with a grain of salt because we all have different feet with our own nuances. So.... I have an average to slightly narrow and long foot with a low instep. The 348 last fits me well. The 337 in the same size was slightly shorter in length, which wasn't a problem, but it was also more spacious throughout (heel, width and instep). I believe the width at the widest point of the both the 337 and the 348 is comparable, but, while the 348 is only that wide at the widest point, the 337 seemed to be that wide through much more of the shoe, making it too roomy for me. I would think that a 337 would fit a wider foot better than the 348.

Avebury

Reaction score
Probably covering old ground, but is an Edward Green actually worth that extra £250 quid? A Clifford would sell at £350 and a Galway at £610, or therebouts. That's a massive difference. Can an Edward Green be £250 quid better than a Handgrade? Ok, personal preferences aside, I think it's an important point. Look at this way, you could get a Handgrade AND a benchgrade CJ for the price of ONE EG. I looked at pair of EG today and can appreciate the quality, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that's a lot of money. That's my holiday. What am I getting?

That said, I'm leaning toward either the semi brogue or the Galway EG, largely because I think the former is the ultimate example and the latter just looks superb. But, ouch - it costs.

I won't bang on about Tricker's, but if you can cope with the rounded toe on their boots I think they are better than the competition, EG excepted. Better than CJ and Church's. God, Church's now have some ugly shoes - there's a nasty walking boot style in shiny multi-coloured leather.

The Grasmere now seems to have a slightly less rounded toe - perhaps my eyes are deceiving me. The last looks longer...I hold my breath.

The shop is being re-furb at the moment and they have that bespoke for £850 offer on.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way to get C&J shoetrees is directly from C&J, correct? No internet orders from what I've read
frown.gif

slt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
The only way to get C&J shoetrees is directly from C&J, correct? No internet orders from what I've read
frown.gif

You can buy them on the internet; Pediwear for example

slt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
The handgrades were made of thicker leather (the shoes were noticeably heavier) and they are fully leather lined, versus partially lined, like the benchgrades.

Just curious about which CJ benchgrades that are partially lined?

I have 8 pairs of benchgrades, including 3 pairs of boots, and all of them are fully leather lined.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He means the sock liner. But that's a bad way to describe what he means. By that way of talking, EGs and G&Gs are partially lined too.

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged

Cheers

Ged

If you are a true G there is no way an E fitting in the 337 will work. Believe me I've tried. There is a handgrade loafer (model name escapes me) that comes in a G fitting, but I believe this is the only current C&J handgrade for those unfortunate wide-footed fellows like ourselves.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slt
You can buy them on the internet; Pediwear for example

You're right--but they don't sell trees according to last--

slt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
You're right--but they don't sell trees according to last--

They don't; but neither does C&J themselves as far as I know.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmix1
If you are a true G there is no way an E fitting in the 337 will work. Believe me I've tried. There is a handgrade loafer (model name escapes me) that comes in a G fitting, but I believe this is the only current C&J handgrade for those unfortunate wide-footed fellows like ourselves.

What about those who wear an F fitting? My only UK-sized shoes are some Cheaney monks that are 10.5 F. They fit well, if anything perhaps a shade wide. Should I be able to fit in to a 10.5 E or 11 E Handgrade?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads