• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique My suit shop shirt

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay my first "custom" shirt My suit shop. I see some problems and perhaps getting the trim fit could fix some of them. I think I need to shorten the sleeves.
100_1135.jpg

100_1142.jpg

100_1139.jpg

100_1137.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sleeve length doesn't look too bad, but it's way too big and doesn't look like a custom shirt at all, but a RTW.

Studio27

Reaction score
second drizzt. it also looks like it's on crooked - may at least appear to fit better if it was lined up?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like kitty.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
What they said ^^.
You've got way too much fabric there in the back. Based on the last photo, it looks like you should probably have them narrow the arm-holes as well. If they do that, the sleeves may hang better too (less baggy).

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kitty seems rather fascinated by the cuff link.

I think that in addition to the body, I would want to narrow the sleeves, raise the arm holes and narrow the cuffs. I was noticing that in a recent photo of the Prince of Wales, the cuff, even with links, fit far more closely to the wrist. I would be concerned that the amount of cuff on the featured shirt would distort the jacket sleeve.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I cut down on the waist chest and wrist added some length (Chronic front of shirt coming untucked syndrome) cut down on wrist siZe my two inches on right wrist and 3.4 inch on left. Request high cut armholes and trim sleeves. Anything I missed?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
So, I cut down on the waist chest and wrist added some length (Chronic front of shirt coming untucked syndrome) cut down on wrist siZe my two inches on right wrist and 3.4 inch on left. Request high cut armholes and trim sleeves. Anything I missed?
How did you come up with those wrist measurements? Two inches is a hell of a lot to reduce a wrist, much less 3.4". (I haven't used My Suit Shop, but I have to imagine that the measurement they're using is an inside measurement - basically the circumference of your wrist -- and not an outside measurement.) And why the big discrepancy? Are the wrists wildly uneven? Note that since you wear your watch on your left wrist, you may want a bit more room on that side than on the right.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I meant 3/4 inch. I wear a large watch.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
LOL, that makes a lot more sense. But do you really have two inches of play in the right wrist?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think so, I measured my wrist as 7 inches. With the watch around 9

Kasper

Reaction score
Your French cuffs look as if they have too much fabric at the ends. This might make the cuffs of your jacket stand out too much.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I think so, I measured my wrist as 7 inches. With the watch around 9
Well, that sounds reasonable - I have a 7-inch wrist myself. (Not that I'm the standard of reasonableness, but whatever.) Most of my wrist size tweaking with Jantzen has been of the .5" or 1/4" variety, so it just struck me as a big adjustment.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, that sounds reasonable - I have a 7-inch wrist myself. (Not that I'm the standard of reasonableness, but whatever.) Most of my wrist size tweaking with Jantzen has been of the .5" or 1/4" variety, so it just struck me as a big adjustment.
So, about how much should I be taking off? (Chest,stomach)

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, about how much should I be taking off? (Chest,stomach)
I would say a couple of inches in the chest and try to get the arm holes as high as possible. The shoulder seam isn't bad you just have too much fabric around your arms. Because you have no pleating in the back they may be able to get some darts in there to clean up the back. What I would do is go to an alterations place and have them pin and highten the arm and see if they can clean-up the back. Have the alterations done and then use the measurements from that shirt for your next one. A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads