• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crease after press

Chich

Reaction score
hey guys,

I've just retrieved my suit from the dry cleaners, it needed a good press after traveling from overseas. unfortunately however the cleaner seems to have made me a nice big crease over one of the lapels, the sort that looks like when you accidentally (or not?) fold a shirt over itself and iron over the top.

is there any home remedy to get that out or should i take it for another pressing?

cheers

Stiva

Reaction score
Chich

If it is a good suit don't take it to a dry cleaners unless you know for sure they understand not pressing the roll in the lapels, etc, and there is about one such establishment in every city of one million people of more.

Present problem - get a loose weave undyed tea towel. Lay it over the crease. Spray a little water on the tea towel from an atomiser. Apply hot iron carefully checking frequently and stopping as soon as the crease is out.

Regards Stiva

Chich

Reaction score
Hey Stiva, thanks for your reply.

Actually this dry cleaner is supposed to be one of the best in the city (obviously then bringing into question on how/why they didn't think an ill pressed lapel shouldn't be fixed). However to be fair when I took my suit into them it was ridiculously creased and wrinkled (overseas shipping) to the extent that the dry cleaner assistant commented that the extensive damage to the lapels may not be able to be fixed.

To my astonishment when I went to pick up the suit, the lapel rolls were not actually pressed out and still present...of course this then making me question even more as to why leave the unsightly crease in the lapel.

Leaving it to hang at work and taking it home last night, I inspected the crease once I arrived home. It seemed as though it was less noticeable although this could be mental thing. I'll probably let it hang regardless for a couple of days to see if the weight will pull out the crease and if not I'll use your advice and give it a bit of an iron. I'm not sure about my tea towels however I do have one of those 2 millimeter by 2 millimeter open weave ironing cloths that you're supposed to use when ironing delicates so to not burn them. I expect I can substitute that for a towel and continue on?

Cheers

Stiva

Reaction score
Iron cloth even better. I've never been able to find one. Where did you get yours?

Chich

Reaction score
To be honest I have no idea, I would say it probably came with the iron as it's never been used prior to me starting to iron. If I had to guess I would suggest maybe either spotlight or harris scarf to get one from...they usually carry those random type items right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads