• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corned Beef

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man. One thing I learned from living in the South is how to appreciate a good corned beef sandwich. They just don't do it there. Being from Cleveland, I loved a good corned beef sandwich from Slyman's Deli. It's so remarkable compared to the Oscar Mayer and Jason's Deli crap that most people think of corned beef as. A little horseradish, maybe some mustard, and sometimes sauerkraut to top it all off. A half-sour on the side. Yummmm. (I'm not a huge Reuben fan when testing out a deli's corned beef -- the extra stuff it tends to hide the corned beef.)
slymanreubenul9.jpg

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mmmmm...corned beef...
drool.gif

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I like a good corned beef sandwich once in awhile!

It's not always easy to find good corned beef.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spam[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Pastrami... Corned beef... the Jews sure do know how to cure meat...
I'd +1 this but isn't corned beef an Irish thing?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more of a pastrami guy personally, I like the spice. The corned beef sandwich that you posted, however, looks mighty good right about now. I've had some great corned beef in Brooklyn, Los Angeles and Baltimore recently.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This from Wikipedia:
According to the History Channel, corned beef was originally used as a substitute for bacon by Irish American immigrants in the late 1800s. Irish immigrants living in New York City's Lower East Side sought an equivalent in taste and texture to their traditional Irish bacon, and learned about this cheaper alternative to bacon from their Jewish neighbors.
So, it is indeed associated with Irish immigrants, but it is originally a Jewish product.

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Pastrami... Corned beef... the Jews sure do know how to cure meat...

Originally Posted by Rambo
I'd +1 this but isn't corned beef an Irish thing?

Originally Posted by Étienne
This from Wikipedia:

So, it is indeed associated with Irish immigrants, but it is originally a Jewish product.

I have a lot of Irish Catholic friends....its no wonder why, corned beef, smoked salmon, copios amount of potatoes, stews of all kinds...and everyone loves beer! Who says religious differences can't be overcome? A big corned beef sandwich, smoked salmon on a bagel, potato pancakes...eho wouldn't like that?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to put some Colmans mustard on that sandwich and you will be set.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Oh man. One thing I learned from living in the South is how to appreciate a good corned beef sandwich. They just don't do it there. Being from Cleveland, I loved a good corned beef sandwich from Slyman's Deli. It's so remarkable compared to the Oscar Mayer and Jason's Deli crap that most people think of corned beef as. A little horseradish, maybe some mustard, and sometimes sauerkraut to top it all off. A half-sour on the side. Yummmm. (I'm not a huge Reuben fan when testing out a deli's corned beef -- the extra stuff it tends to hide the corned beef.)
slymanreubenul9.jpg

I'm confused. Did you learn to love/appreciate corned beef in the South, Cleveland, or both?

I'm live in "The Cleve" and enjoy my annual trip to Slyman's. Personally, I like Manny's in Chicago better. They give you a potato pancake and the attitude of the people working behind the counter is awesome

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I'm confused. Did you learn to love/appreciate corned beef in the South, Cleveland, or both?

I paradoxically learned to appreciate corned beef in the South because there isn't any.
tongue.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I paradoxically learned to appreciate corned beef in the South because there isn't any.
tongue.gif

No Jews where you lived?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads