• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Leather

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So cordovan is supposedly so rare and expensive...yet for some reason it seems to be neither rare nor overly expensive. There's plenty of shoes and boots out there that distress very well and look damn fine but aren't made of cordovan (and cost quite a bit as well).

It's nice, but is it really all it's made out to be?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I had the same feeling in this thread

I have 2 pairs of Alden Cordovan shoes now.....They're super hella nice, but I haven't become a cordo-head where I only seek out cordovan.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
**** Cordovan.

Give me Cordovun. That ***** made out of unicorns, not wimpy horses.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I read that 1 horse = 1 pair of shoes.

I guess if they do only take the ass leather that might be true; but, I am still slightly skeptical.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
I feel the exact same way about Cordo - it's lightweight and instantly comfortable, and reputed to last a lifetime but I'm not completely sold. For one, I don't like the way cordovan wrinkles. I actually like a little bit of fine lines. My next pair of expensive shoes is gonna be calfskin. But I only have one pair of monk chukkas. Maybe a wingtip or captoe would be better.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I guess if they do only take the ass leather that might be true; but, I am still slightly skeptical.

I saw this recently on the Ben Silver site:

"Genuine shell cordovan is rare... cordovan comes from horses...The "shell"... is the subcutaneous layer that covers the equine posterior. Each horse provides two shells, which is just enough for a pair of shoes... It's known for taking on a rich patina that improves with wear and polishing. And tough as, well, a horse's butt."

bant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

this is actually true. same reason that a cordovan belt is always two shells stitched together as opposed to one continuous piece of leather - that ass ain't big enough.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bant
this is actually true. same reason that a cordovan belt is always two shells stitched together as opposed to one continuous piece of leather - that ass ain't big enough.

Ddarn -they should come to NYC- there are enough assess here to shoe the world. And a lot of Big Asses too.
laugh.gif

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Ddarn -they should come to NYC- there are enough assess here to shoe the world. And a lot of Big Asses too.
laugh.gif

Have you been south of the Mason-Dixon line? There are some Asses here that could shoe elephants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads