• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of "stupid", lack of reading comprehension, gibberish, etc, here find two examples of your own.

EXAMPLE 1:
This is case and point of your stupidity. Because I insta-react to Foo's poast while we're both online, you draw the inference that I was always insta-react to Foo's poast. Then you say Foo is flattering me, when he in no way conceded I wasn't a troll, BECAUSE I AM A TROLL.
I never wrote that Foo flatters/flattered you: 180° in fact. I wrote, in response to Foo (that would be not you, one fervently hopes):

"Oh I'd say the two peas in that pod are firmly you (aka him, aka Foo) and he (aka you, aka GE), especially including matters of taste...and it is sort of oddly impressive just how quickly he (aka you, aka GE) reacts to your (aka him, aka Foo) comments. Does flattery get him (aka you, aka GE) everywhere?"

tl:dr: GeneralEmployer --> flatters --> Foo, not the other way around. Everybody knows Foo flatters only himself.

EXAMPLE 2:
This is case and point of your stupidity.

When to Use Case and Point
What does case and point mean? Case and point is a misspelling of the expression case in point. It is considered a spelling error.

Below, you can see a graph of that charts the usage of case and point vs. case in point:
Case-in-point-versus-case-and-point.png

Yeah, ESL....
Ti gà capio, maùrno?

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1603606495604.png

I make truce with you, venessian —
I have detested you long enough.
I come to you as a grown child
Who has had a pig-headed father;
I am old enough now to make friends.
It was you that broke the new wood,
Now is a time for carving.
We have one sap and one root—
Let there be commerce between us.

tenor.gif

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luv ur retroactive edit btw:

Redundant.
An edit by definition can only be retroactive.

Perhaps consider attending an ESL course yourself, niteskool, try to impress someone with your U D knowledge, maybe even get lucky?

soender

Reaction score
I have issues with most series on the market, from Alessi, Georg Jensen, Stelton, Iittala etc. Knife might be good, but the the handle on the fork looks of. Proportions on the spoon looks like the hardest to get right.
Keep talking to a industrial designer I know, that we should try to do a series (nothing will ever come of it).

I use parts of an vintage Georg Jensen series “Blå Haj” by Svein Siune. My mom bought it in like 1975, and I have been using it since 2005 I guess.
Too minimal for the market, and not perfect either, it’s what I use until the right thing shows up.

The series I like the best right now, when handling it irl, is Bernadotte from Georg Jensen.
1603609304460.jpeg
pack___3609504-1200-0.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys just make a separate thread dedicated to petty squabbling and keep this one for actual posts about furniture and interesting design?
I have tried...to post "actual posts about furniture and interesting design?" for years here.

See most of my posts, even just 2-3 pages back, regarding glassware, Enzo Mari, and flatware most recently.

Again, since sugarbutch made your same request not so long ago:
a) I comment with no insult, others reply (or not) and discuss, with no ad homs and insults, no problem.
b) I comment with no insult, some people call me "silly", "troll", "stupid", fugazi", "uneducated", "crazed rants", "limited cognitive abilities", all that other **** for some obsessive reason: then, yes, I take offense and so, then, yes, **** them at that point.

I am neither the reason for nor the instigator of any lack of civility and respectful, helpful discourse here.

If I were to post stating why I do or do not like the design of a fork, and would subsequently and immediately (see post #12,807 in reply to my post #12,806, for example) NOT receive the typical insulting trash thrown back at me (even though others make similar observations and valid criticisms regarding the same fork), there would never be any issue at all.

Trust me, I would much rather discuss Enzo Mari, etc. than any of this side-show useless bullshit.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have issues with most series on the market, from Alessi, Georg Jensen, Stelton, Iittala etc. Knife might be good, but the the handle on the fork looks of. Proportions on the spoon looks like the hardest to get right.
Keep talking to a industrial designer I know, that we should try to do a series (nothing will ever come of it).

I use parts of an vintage Georg Jensen series “Blå Haj” by Svein Siune. My mom bought it in like 1975, and I have been using it since 2005 I guess.
Too minimal for the market, and not perfect either, it’s what I use until the right thing shows up.

The series I like the best right now, when handling it irl, is Bernadotte from Georg Jensen.
pack___3609504-1200-0.png
+1 to that.

@soender: Is "Blå Haj" what is called "Blue Shark" in English?
I love that. I bought a "Blue Shark" teaspoon just last week, for a Sottsass cheese dish. The spoon shape is great for that purpose, I think.

(I also am in discussions to (unlikely I think but I remain hopeful) to produce some flatware and serving dishes, with Alessi. Good luck with your project too.)

soender

Reaction score
Is "Blå Haj" what is called "Blue Shark" in English?
I love that. I bought a "Blue Shark" teaspoon just last week, for a Sottsass cheese dish. The spoon shape is great for that purpose, I think.
Yep. Should have translated, sorry.

Let me know if you move forward with your project!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think someone may have mentioned David Mellor previously. Some really good looking stuff! Prices are not Pott crazy, but maybe ~50% higher than the likes of Alessi and Georg Jensen.

Anybody know about the quality level? Some of the designs I like below.

David Mellor London:
1603615899564.jpeg

David Mellor Minimal:
1603616032915.jpeg

David Mellor Odeon:
1603616123511.jpeg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no size queen, but a couple of those look small enough to be children's flatware.

I guess I'm more partial to elongated designs like below.

I like that Bernadotte set, but it would not work in our household. We still use the extended full set my wife bought years ago when she moved out of her parents place.
WMF Palma
View attachment 1483886

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I would be shocked if anyone here can differentiate “quality level” among any of these sets, beyond “it’s made from metal, and doesn’t have any burrs or sharp edges”.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I like the Pott 35 because it is possibly a more focused and committed design. In a negative light, maybe one could view the Pott 33 as more compromised, while it is perhaps more balanced or harmonious when positively interpreted.

Honestly, the trouble is that you can’t really handle these things first. I’d go with the one that feels nicer to use, if I could. In my imagination, the Pott 33 is more likely better in that respect—but I’m far from certain. The broad, flat surfaces of the Pott 35 handles might actually promote better stability.

I really dislike the Pott 24. Whenever I’ve used flatware with tapered handles like that, they have been awkward and uncomfortable. I imagine the tapered fork tines and spoon bowls would also be unfriendly in actual usage. Overall, the design strikes me as more interested in evoking forward thinking than actually being well thought-out.

That's a fair point about the spoons on the 24. My problem with the 35 is that it indeed reminds me of mess hall flatware, and I find the neck of the fork and spoons to be inelegant.

I would be shocked if anyone here can differentiate “quality level” among any of these sets, beyond “it’s made from metal, and doesn’t have any burrs or sharp edges”.
Think someone may have mentioned David Mellor previously. Some really good looking stuff! Prices are not Pott crazy, but maybe ~50% higher than the likes of Alessi and Georg Jensen.

Anybody know about the quality level? Some of the designs I like below.

David Mellor London:
View attachment 1483894

David Mellor Minimal:
View attachment 1483895

David Mellor Odeon:
View attachment 1483896

Of these, I like the Odeon.

The minimal is the worst to my eye. I have the same objection to the neck as I did in the Pott 35. The roots are too deep, and the knife looks unfinished to me.

The London is fine, but I prefer the forks on the Odeon. The forks on the London are too rounded for me and like the 24 conjure and image of a spork in my mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads