• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Prism overall, but quibble with the short knife. I'd probably learn to love it, but at first-sight find it truncated.

My first-sight eye also questions the proportions of the soup spoon (too large) and the. teaspoon (too small).

Then again, it's well established that a majority of successful models have some out-of-proportion features (i.e. a huge mouth, etc.).

I’ve noticed the too-big table spoon and too-small tea spoon thing, as well. I suspect it has to do with European vs. American usage and expectations.

Growing up, our table spoons and tea spoons were always much closer in size and we used the latter more regularly. In fact, we often used the former as serving spoons.

In contrast, many of the European flatware sets I’ve seen seem to treat the larger table spoon as the one you’re supposed to individually use for entrees, whereas the much smaller tea spoon is literally meant for stirring your tea or coffee and too small for eating with.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Prism overall, but quibble with the short knife. I'd probably learn to love it, but at first-sight find it truncated.

My first-sight eye also questions the proportions of the soup spoon (too large) and the. teaspoon (too small).

Then again, it's well established that a majority of successful models have some out-of-proportion features (i.e. a huge mouth, etc.).
The "Prism" collection consisted of far more than those limited sizes, and included 4 lengths of standard knives, 4 lengths of standard forks, 7 lengths of standard spoons...not counting the many specialty pieces such as various serving forks and spoons, ladles, cake/pie servers, butter knives, etc.

There is ample variety in "Prism", more than in most sets. And, yes, the "tea" spoons are in fact perfectly proportioned for tea, the "demitasse" for espresso, the "soup" for soup, the "serving" for serving, etc., all functioning exactly as they should.

In my opinion Bouroullec, Morrison, etc have more ungainly proportions, and both designs (setting aside the even more bizarre, far-too-fey Cutipol stuff) as a result in fact really do come off as "trying too hard"*.
*e.g., the Alessi website proudly highlights, right there front and center, the clear and unabashed ambitions of "Ovale" admittedly aspiring to cover almost all possible flatware ground in one fell swoop:​
"The “Ovale” collection strives to be original, but it also wants to be rustic and traditional. We set out in pursuit of delicate expression. This composition speaks about everyday life, about breakfast, lunch, about everyone getting together for dinner. There is a desire for simplicity." – Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec."​
Yikes....​

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Suddenly flashing back on my mother’s enormous set of Victorian silver plate flatware, with seemingly dozens of incredibly specific items that we never used: fish servers, sponge cake fork, various mustard and salt spoons, etc.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a queen size bed for our guest bedroom. I want a simple MCM look with a headboard. Looking for solid woods and veneer (no MDF). Under $4K and available within 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1615555675467.png

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took advantage of the current DWR sale and got the Troll vase among other things. Thanks for pointing this one out.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took advantage of the current DWR sale and got the Troll vase among other things. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Who is the woman in your profile pic? Also, what's up with all the provocative profile pics? I thought this was a safe place (in that sense at least).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads