• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering a major life/career move - need SF advice

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An opportunity has presented itself within my company for a vertical move, but in another business unit. I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons…I’ve opened the door to explore and am qualified, but have not formally asked for an interview. I’ve spoken to my boss and he is going to put the hiring manager in touch with me so that we can discuss and I can learn more. I should also have the opportunity to speak with the person currently in the role, as they will be there for a few more months.

The new position would be based outside of London – I’m in Baltimore now. We have nothing holding us in Baltimore – family and friends are in New England. Reporting structure would be to the business unit’s vp/gm rather than functionally (dotted line functionally) which could be good or bad. I should mention that we are a US-based company....in my mind, it always seems better to be closer to HQ for visibility, influence, etc.

I’ve recently been promoted in my current role and am being assigned to some of our highest visibility projects. The business unit that I am in is our most dynamic, with perhaps the most interesting and technically challenging projects. A lot of our corporate leadership has come up through this unit. I regularly interface with senior management now and feedback has been positive. I believe that there is room for growth; however, it may be several years before a comparable position is available here. I’m happy where I am – it’s a great place to work and the opportunities could be good (...just a few years off). The other business unit is roughly 1/3 the size and the products are not as complex. I don't know if they have anything interesting in their pipeline. On the other hand, it would offer significant leadership opportunities within the unit and the region. My gut also tells me that it would be my best bet at getting sponsored for an MBA as opposed to the standard fractional reimbursement. I think that the international experience could be invaluable, career-wise, and that living abroad would be great for my family. My wife is on-board with the move.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

An opportunity has presented itself within my company for a vertical move, but in another business unit. I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons…I’ve opened the door to explore and am qualified, but have not formally asked for an interview. I’ve spoken to my boss and he is going to put the hiring manager in touch with me so that we can discuss and I can learn more. I should also have the opportunity to speak with the person currently in the role, as they will be there for a few more months.
The new position would be based outside of London – I’m in Baltimore now. We have nothing holding us in Baltimore – family and friends are in New England. Reporting structure would be to the business unit’s vp/gm rather than functionally (dotted line functionally) which could be good or bad. I should mention that we are a US-based company....in my mind, it always seems better to be closer to HQ for visibility, influence, etc.
I’ve recently been promoted in my current role and am being assigned to some of our highest visibility projects. The business unit that I am in is our most dynamic, with perhaps the most interesting and technically challenging projects. A lot of our corporate leadership has come up through this unit. I regularly interface with senior management now and feedback has been positive. I believe that there is room for growth; however, it may be several years before a comparable position is available here. I’m happy where I am – it’s a great place to work and the opportunities could be good (...just a few years off). The other business unit is roughly 1/3 the size and the products are not as complex. I don't know if they have anything interesting in their pipeline. On the other hand, it would offer significant leadership opportunities within the unit and the region. My gut also tells me that it would be my best bet at getting sponsored for an MBA as opposed to the standard fractional reimbursement. I think that the international experience could be invaluable, career-wise, and that living abroad would be great for my family. My wife is on-board with the move.
Thoughts?
International experience is a big plus nowadays when considered for advancement, and it also contributes to personal growth. The wife's willingness to move should make the decision easier. Good luck!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how old are you? children?

basically, I'd say yes, in almost every possible circomstance.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
You had me sold at Baltimore-->London.

But seriously, if you have nothing holding you back, go for it.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not really at the decision stage yet - right now you're getting an informal interview, that's all. Take a chance, do your best and ask all the questions you want to ask. Once you have the answers and they're interested in you, your picture will be clearer and your decision much more informed. Based on the preliminary info above, though, I'd still say go for it :)

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're not really at the decision stage yet - right now you're getting an informal interview, that's all. Take a chance, do your best and ask all the questions you want to ask. Once you have the answers and they're interested in you, your picture will be clearer and your decision much more informed. Based on the preliminary info above, though, I'd still say go for it :)

That's a valid point - this isn't technically an interview (though in practicality it is an informal interview, as you mention), I'm just trying to learn more about the role and the business unit to see if it is worth pursuing.

Oh yeah and it's a bit outside of London, actually Oxford.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm 31, kid will be 2 and have another one on the way.

yes, do this. the only concern is your wife, standard hospitals in the UK suck, make sure that you have good coverage for her, if she isn't happy you will be unhappy.

we moved to the US when my son was 2, he was fine. it'll be great for your son, from london you can see all of Europe relativly easily.

everything indicates that this would be great for you. run with it. I did my first corporate sponsered relocation at that age, and it was fantastic for me, career wise.

good luck

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Go for it. If I was in your shoes I would do it instantly.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a good move. International experience won't look bad and it will probably only hamper your career development if you stay there for a long time (thus staying too far away from HQ.) Although it is important to be close to the seat of power in most companies, a brief stint away will probably help rather than hinder. Just be ready to come back to HQ if you ever want to make a serious play for the C-suite.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - my line of thought at this time would be to see how it grows over 3-5 years, but not stay overseas permanently.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes, do this. the only concern is your wife, standard hospitals in the UK suck, make sure that you have good coverage for her, if she isn't happy you will be unhappy.
we moved to the US when my son was 2, he was fine. it'll be great for your son, from london you can see all of Europe relativly easily.
everything indicates that this would be great for you. run with it. I did my first corporate sponsered relocation at that age, and it was fantastic for me, career wise.
good luck

She'd have the baby in the US - I wouldn't consider moving the family until after her maternity leave here. We'll be seeing how my daughter does on her first international flight in a couple of months.....

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
THe financial incentives to working abroad as a US citizen are insane - you aren't taxed up to first ~$90k of your salary.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joffrey, but isn't your income taxable in the country of current residence anyway? Not sure if there woud be an advatnage as he is most likely to be taxed in the UK and simply would file a US return (with no taxes owned to Uncle Sam)? Is that incorrect?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads