• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conditioning the lining of the shoes?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll remove the laces and just condition the vamp around the laces. I figured that this portion of the shoe is more exposed to the elements and not to your sweat vapors. Otherwise, I think moisturizing the inside of the shoe increases the risk of mildewing or athlete's foot.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me just add a little more to my take on this issue. I don't think that care of shoe linings is necessary or desirable every time we polish our shoes. However--as I now consider this more--once in a while still seems like a good idea--maybe once a year. By treating the lining leather with a conditioner, you are not introducing the kind of moisture that is problematic--water and perspiration. In other words, not all moisture is bad. If leather conditioner had the same ill effects as water and salt water, then applying it to the outer leather would cause problems too, but, of course, it doesn't. Moisturizing the lining leather is simply keeping it supple so that it never cracks or develops fissures from having dried out. If you apply a light coat of conditioner once in a while, rub it in really thoroughly, and lastly wipe off all moist residue, you will have lining leather that's dry to the touch and will remain that way, but that, in addition, has been kept supple and new-looking. I have had the linings of old shoes get dried out and a little tatty-looking from lack of care. Since this isn't visible when the shoes are worn, and since it would never keep one from being able to wear the shoes, we overlook it. Nonetheless, this kind of care certainly can't hurt. To those who say, in effect, "I can't be bothered" or "it's overkill," I would say "fine," but that's a different argument than one concerning maintenance advantages. Everyone is free to treat his possessions as he likes, and if it's too much trouble, don't do it. With very expensive shoes in particular, however, I'm concerned about giving them the very best care I can.

Oh, just as an aside: lee_44106, the reason we use shoe trees is not to keep the insides dry. It is to maintain the shape of the shoes between wearings and prevent them from curling and taking on misshapen form. The issue of whether or not shoe trees actually absorb any moisture has been exhaustively debated several times on this forum and AAAC, and the consensus that has emerged is that they really don't. If they did, I'm sure that Edward Green, Vass, John Lobb, et al., would provide unfinished more-absorbent cedar (or another softwood) trees, but they don't; instead they provide varnished (often hardwood) trees that couldn't possibly absorb any moisture.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
I know that it seems an overshot, but the rationale behind was that, even if lining should be a natural soft leather, we really do not know for how long it had been left to dry (the time between the moment in which the shoe was produced and the time when you start wearing it), and also the fact that it takes a lot of salty moisture (sweat). As I said, it felt like going crazy when I've started the post, but then I thought that one of the things that a good shoemaker will do in the process of re-crafting a pair of shoes is to change the sock, alongside with the outer-sole and welt, so it is seen as a fragile thing.
And polishing the visible part of the sole it is not crazy (in fact, treating the sole once per year with grease), it is maintenance! The sole, if it is leather needs some nourishment, as the rest of the shoe. I am not glazing the sole, just clean it after, and once in a time, grease it. It's just airing your suits!

jimmyshoe

Reaction score
As a professional bespoke shoemaker, I think that conditioning the linings is probably not a good idea because it will make the leather smooth and shiny and you will run the risk of your heel pulling out of the shoe. Also, the lining has the function of absorbing the sweat from your feet, which is then evaporated away when you let the shoes rest for 24 hours after wearing. this would be impeded by effectively polishing the lining.

Hope that helps

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads