• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student wearing high end menswear

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahaha, Americans!

If you must know the truth - in my uni years we would have had a big laugh about you. People from the right sort of background wore Timberland boots, 501 or Diesel Saddler, Polo RL rugby shirts and OCBD both handed down from their older brothers, Barbour wax coats or British-made stuff handed down from their fathers.

We would have had assumed that your father was running a chain of corner-shops or sun-tanning-beds or, even worse, was in the construction industry.

We had an unfortunate chap whose parents saved (!) money to buy him a pre-owned BMW 320. Guess what a hard time we gave him, our standard "rides" being clappy LR Defenders or G Wagons, or our fathers's weekend toys when they went away from Friday to Monday. Exeptions were made for the asset-rich/cash-poor landowning class (usually MB W123 diesels) and a few people from high-brow well-to-do middle-class families on their way climbing the social ladder (usually were clean & smart VW Golf GTIs).

Let's assume you came over to Europe for an exchange semester - we would either have ignored you altogether, or made you pick up the tab whenever you had the rare chance to join us for a drink.

Bottom line - you sound like someone whom I'd have never met. 

You sound like a "baddie" out of Sharpe.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure they're thinking you seem like an asshole.

Or a self important weirdo. College boys should focus on their studies, sleeping with girls (or perhaps boys in the OP's case), and planning their future - overpriced Brioni and Kiton stuff should be the last thing on their minds.

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That is what I am trying to say.

Of course, nothing wrong with buying a few good pieces. When I was a student, I had good shoes and sweaters, but I never "dressed up" and would not be seen dead in a fancy leather belt (why do images of Bijan's Rodeo Drive shop and Siegfried & Roy come up when I think of the OP?).

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then don't be the flashy guy. Be cool, buy your pals a few rounds when they cannot afford it, maybe facilitate that big graduation celebration "dirty weekend" for your inner circle and make life-long friends. But please, don't strut about like Woody Woodpecker having won the lottery.

RMRS01

Reaction score
Assuming you’ve perfected the basic snappier-than-thou ensemble of jeans and a casually tossed-on dress shirt, start playing with little personal touches. A pair of casual brown leather shoes makes a nice alternative to Nikes, and girls will ask you where you get your shoes (if you can notice theirs and ask them first, this is obviously even better).

Hats are always a unique touch, as long as it isn’t the exact same hat du jour that everyone else on campus is wearing. A decorative belt buckle or a bolo tie makes a casual Western touch, but don’t take it any further unless you go to school in Texas…in general, just find a few “extras” to mix in with your daily no-thought-required outfits. Your friends probably won’t even notice, but the people you need to impress (professors, girlfriends, visiting relatives, etc.) will.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Assuming you’ve perfected the basic snappier-than-thou ensemble of jeans and a casually tossed-on dress shirt, start playing with little personal touches. A pair of casual brown leather shoes makes a nice alternative to Nikes, and girls will ask you where you get your shoes (if you can notice theirs and ask them first, this is obviously even better).

Hats are always a unique touch, as long as it isn’t the exact same hat du jour that everyone else on campus is wearing. A decorative belt buckle or a bolo tie makes a casual Western touch, but don’t take it any further unless you go to school in Texas…in general, just find a few “extras” to mix in with your daily no-thought-required outfits. Your friends probably won’t even notice, but the people you need to impress (professors, girlfriends, visiting relatives, etc.) will.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that a bolo tie on a college kid isn't going to impress me. If fact, I'd be more likely to think "what the hell is he wearing that for?"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bolo tie......:crackup:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads