• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Major-Down to work hard

Lizen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, let me tell you all about my current situation. I was a sophomore in college this year, as a music liberal studies major. I originally went into school with the intentions of getting a music education major and becoming a music teacher. I was very heavy into music in high school and assumed it was what I wanted to do the rest of my life. It turns out, music has given me the ability to be very critical with myself, but it is not something I want to make a career out of. So, I'm taking the fall semester off of next school year, possibly the spring too. When I do go back to school, I plan on working ****** off in whatever subject I choose. I am not great with mathematics, but can do most calculus. What type of major should I choose? I'm a very open minded critical thinker with very good social skills. I love analyzing and I have no problem being harsh with myself or others. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What sort of college do you go to, and what do you definitely want to do or not do afterwards?

If you want to develop your critical thinking side you could do philosophy or history. There's then the question of what you do with that, but the ability to think, speak, and write has value in a number of occupations.

Have you written off the sciences?

Lizen

Reaction score
I have no intention of going into business. Clothes, I am going back to school for sure. I have a decent paying job right now to earn money before I go back and give it another shot. I was immature, and I didn't know how to survive in the college world. I was thinking Humanities with a minor in philosophy. Would one assume that I would be going to grad school after that to get a masters or PhD? As far as the sciences go, physics and chemistry are a no go. Something biology related would be something of interest to me.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
When most kids say they're taking a year off, that means they're really not coming back (dropping out)

+1

I hope you go back but once you quit, or take some time off its very hard to go back.

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Biology could work. Just look at list of majors and programs on your school's web site and look through each carefully.

See what sparks your interest. What school do you go to? I can look at the list for you if you want.

hootdocta5

Reaction score
You might as well drop out if you plan on getting a degree in humanities, you will make absolutely no money with that degree...much less find a job in the first place. It sounds like you may be a good fit for a marketing degree, or international affairs, or public policy.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hootdocta5
You might as well drop out if you plan on getting a degree in humanities, you will make absolutely no money with that degree...much less find a job in the first place. It sounds like you may be a good fit for a marketing degree, or international affairs, or public policy.

lots of people can find good jobs/make money with a humanities degrees

unfortunately those people are also hard working and driven, and you don't sound like someone who has either of those qualities (you're just now trying to get your **** together?)

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lizen
I have no intention of going into business. Clothes, I am going back to school for sure. I have a decent paying job right now to earn money before I go back and give it another shot. I was immature, and I didn't know how to survive in the college world. I was thinking Humanities with a minor in philosophy. Would one assume that I would be going to grad school after that to get a masters or PhD? As far as the sciences go, physics and chemistry are a no go. Something biology related would be something of interest to me.
These days, biology takes a ton of chemistry. So if you don't like chemistry, you won't like biology. But, moreso than that, I can't in good conscience suggest anyone go into the sciences if you live in the US. You will be undervalued and thus underpaid. Chemistry may be the exception, but I would certainly steer towards chemical engineering instead. Here are the things I would suggest to anyone who is not independently wealthy: engineering accounting nursing or other healthcare specialty (physical therapy, physician, chiropractor, etc) one of the 4 year "technology" degrees. one of my friends repairs advanced infrastructure stuff (think telco and the like, not a lineman though) and makes seriously good money I think that about covers it. There may be a few I missed, but those are the key areas.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Nursing has a high demand and you can easily make +$100K after just a few years.

Bad thing is though, people treat you like crap, you deal with lots of poop and pee, you'll be one of the only guys (can be a good thing, and a bad thing), you work holidays and weekends, and its very easy to get sued (some states someone can sue you up to 7 years after they were in the hospital/under your care)

Still undecided? Just pick something, and figure out after you have a degree. Most people don't do what they got their college degree in.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Still undecided? Just pick something, and figure out after you have a degree. Most people don't do what they got their college degree in.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot agree with this perspective.

Lizen, if you're taking a semester or a year off and you have flexibility enough in your day job, I would strongly suggest you use some of that time to network with as many people as you can (friends, family, people you find through you school's career center, cold calls, etc.) in different fields that you might be remotely interested in working in. This will enable you to learn about what options are out there for you, what work interests you, and thus where you should focus your studies.

So many people (myself included) spend too much time selecting their major based on what they think their interests are, as opposed to considering what type of work they will/want to be doing after school. In my opinion, selecting a biology major because you like your biology classes is only a valid thought process if you plan on staying in academia or research. For the majority of fields outside of professional academia, what you learn in your major and the day to day work you will do afterwards are not well correlated.

I'm 3 years out of school now and from looking at those around me (peers, colleagues, college friends) I've come to the conclusion that making connections between students' coursework and the "real world" is hugely underemphasized in American schools. So many people get out of undergrad with no clear picture of what they will do with the rest of their lives. I feel that I've been fairly successful thus far in spite of not knowing what I wanted to do while I was still in college mostly because I wound with an engineering degree from a well-respected school and for the few months after graduating I busted ****** figuring out a plan to get me into the field I really wanted to be in. Anyway, just my two cents </rant>

Originally Posted by limester816
You'll make the most out of college with an undergraduate business degree in finance.

This, but don't do it unless both the subject matter, and the work you will be doing after college interest you.

highball

Reaction score
PS - Where are you geographically and what school?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now-a-days humanities majors are mostly worthless without grad-school follow-up. We are no longer living in the times when an average employer will look at your history degree and think, &quot;Now THIS guy is a critical thinker with an ability to write well!&quot;

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads