Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Collar alterations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Nov 20, 2004.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Would it be possible for a tailor to cut a quarter inch (maybe less) off of both edges of the collar (the edges making the lines pointing at the lapels, closest to the tie) re-sew the collar, and move the button over to make it smaller?

I am asking this question because I purchased a Zegna shirt, white with a neat blue stripe, for $25. I can wear it fine as a shirt with a jacket sans tie, but I would love to wear it with a tie. The problem is that it is a half inch larger than the size I wear. I have closed the tie gap and shrunk it vigorously in the washer/dryer. Can anything be done about this?

Also, it might be possible for me to wear it with a tie, but it would be looser than all of the shirts I wear with ties. Does anyone have any pictures of a loose fitting collar that is still acceptable? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

Buy a new shirt that is the correct size.

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

[​IMG] I don't think that you can alter this collar. The only possibility is a new collar. This is not practical. The charge will be more than you paid for the shirt. Shirtmakers in NYC charge from $35 to $75 for this service.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

If the shirt is $150 it can be a good idea to pay $40... If it is $34, of course not

5. stache

stache Senior member

Gain some weight or lift weights. Your neck will get bigger [​IMG]