• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee Shops

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME, nothing makes business travel more tolerable than a readily available, serious cup of coffee or espresso. Please share.

Boston:

Simon's near Porter Square on Mass Ave.

Bloc 11 in Union Square (not that anyone on business travel would be anywhere near there)

These are the two best I've tried in the area. Simon's, especially, is quite a joint. There are a couple of decent places on Newbury (Espresso Royale comes to mind), but IMO are not better than the two I listed.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gimme Coffee in Ithaca NY...I think they have shops all over now, in Manhattan and Brooklyn and other places but I only visit the one in Ithaca which is the original and it's a cool place.

brianja

Reaction score
Here are a few I like off of the top of my head. I put in parenthesis the bean sources for the Brooklyn shops since I know them for sure.

Brooklyn:

Southside Coffee (Inteligentsia) <--- my favorite shop
Cafe Pedlar (Stumptown)
Root Hill Cafe (Counter Culture)
Gimmie! (Gimmie! roasted in Ithica)

Manhattan:

Joe the Art of Coffee
Grey Dog
Cafe Grumpy

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia:

Spruce Street Espresso (12th and Spruce, best coffee I've ever had)
La Colombe (19th St, right north of Rittenhouse Sq.)

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianja
Here are a few I like off of the top of my head. I put in parenthesis the bean sources for the Brooklyn shops since I know them for sure.

Brooklyn:

Southside Coffee (Inteligentsia) <--- my favorite shop
Cafe Pedlar (Stumptown)
Root Hill Cafe (Counter Culture)
Gimmie! (Gimmie! roasted in Ithica)

Manhattan:

Joe the Art of Coffee
Grey Dog
Cafe Grumpy

The real Intelligentsia and Stumptown locations in Chicago and Portland, OR, respectively, are the best coffee I've ever had.

Cafe Grumpy is excellent as well.

Indianapolis - Monon Coffee in Broad Ripple Village

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting article on coffee (snob) shops:

http://www.simonscoffeeshop.com/globe_article1.html

''I could talk for hours about Starbucks," van Schyndel says.

Some critics would go so far as to say that the company's drinks, let alone those now coming out of local favorite Dunkin' Donuts, barely even qualify as espresso.

''Espresso has a pretty bad rap in most of America,"

Ken Nye, owner of Ninth Street Espresso in New York City, says over a macchiato (espresso with a dab of steamed milk on top) at his far-East Village shop.

' 'They haven't had it. They've had this abomination."

Pardon the pun, but changes are brewing, slowly but surely. In both Boston and New York, espresso fanatics can find pockets of quality like Simon's and Ninth Street, where trained, dedicated baristi are grinding, dosing, tamping, pulling, and frothing. At these cafes, the point is to emphasize the unique flavors that can result when hot water pushes through finely ground coffee at the right speed.Continued...

''Good espresso should taste almost like freshly ground coffee smells," says Nye. And its velvety, full-bodied texture should coat the palate.

There are so many steps to achieving this, and virtually no room for error when making something with only two ingredients: coffee and water (plus milk for cappuccino, latte, or other espresso drinks). The size of the grind, the pressure and technique used when ''tamping" them into the machine's portafilter, and the temperature of the water are among the factors that can affect whether the water presses through in the requisite 20 to 30 seconds for 2 ounces of liquid. Faster or slower, and it's thin and sour or burnt and bitter.

Much of the strategy involves freshness. The best espresso, Nye says, comes from coffee roasted recently and preferably locally.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
realistic speaking... Starbucks, only place I can find all over the WORLD, and it is better than most mom and pop shop (at least in NYC, and Asia).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads