• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth weight for dinner suit.

DoctorRN

Reaction score
Hi, I am after some advice. I am planning on having a three piece bespoke dinner suit made. I have been looking at cloth and have seen Smiths Woollen do a midnight blue wool mohair mix in 10oz. Do you think this is too light? Will it wear easily? I would normally go for a 12-13oz cloth but cannot find any in midnight blue at that weight.

Many thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10oz is OK if the cloth is something you prefer. In modern settings 8/9oz, is good and may be even better as the heat tends to build during the function after the meal or whatever.

Few settings are old buildings without heating but with draughts these days.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I am after some advice. I am planning on having a three piece bespoke dinner suit made. I have been looking at cloth and have seen Smiths Woollen do a midnight blue wool mohair mix in 10oz. Do you think this is too light? Will it wear easily? I would normally go for a 12-13oz cloth but cannot find any in midnight blue at that weight.

Many thanks

I chose a 12oz midnight blue for my dinner jacket. It was from the Knightbridge II book.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that heavier cloth tends to... drape... better. Wrinkle less. And just look better.

But lighter tends to be considerably more comfortable. And modern climate control means that even in the dead of winter, I'm unlikely to be socializing indoors in genuinely chilly conditions. Pre-WWII? Sure, could be chilly indoors. Even today, in a 300 year old English castle, figure on it being chilly indoors. But in 21st century Baltimore, in a place with central heat (which is to say, in almost every place I'm likely to be)? It'll likely be warmer in January, than in July.

And comfort matters more to me than does that last tiny bit of appearance, in most cases. Yeah, plenty of women buy shoes a size too small, because they're so attractive. But, of course, such foolish behavior is commonly understood to be a gender-linked genetic disorder. A man should understand that comfort isn't irrelevant.

So if it were me, I'd opt for the 10oz. And would at least seriously consider something even a little lighter than that. I surely wouldn't go any heavier than 12oz.

Well, not unless I already had several lighter suits already, and simply wanted to get something heavier, for those uncommon situations where it'd make sense to wear something warmer. Or maybe if I had some metabolic issue, where I was always freezing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads