1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cleaning Peccary Gloves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabro, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Fabro

Fabro Senior Member

I recently bought a pair of vintage peccary gloves that are in excellent condition, but have some dirt stains. Does anyone have any advice on cleaning and conditioning these? They are quite light in colour, and I don't mind if they darken a little.

2. well-kept

well-kept Senior Member

I have a pair. Tried saddle soap but it seemed to stiffen them a bit. I gave them a dose of Lexol a few days ago. Let's see how they are when fully dry.

3. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Don't do what I did and accidentally throw them in the washing machine. [​IMG]

4. fkl118

fkl118 Senior Member

I don't know about cleaning peccary, but Lexol does work well as a conditioner.
    When you first apply it, it will appear blotchy and you'll think "What have I done?!" But it will absorb in and even out.
    BTW, Lexol will darken the leather.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Mine have washing instructions -- something like put them on, then wash your hands with gentle soap; take them off , blow into them, let them air dry.

7. faketrain

faketrain Senior Member

didn't that soak the gloves with water? is lexol the best option?

8. KObalto

KObalto Distinguished Member

Mine have washing instructions -- something like put them on, then wash your hands with gentle soap; take them off , blow into them, let them air dry.

Yes, I have used mild dishwashing liquid on mine to good effect. I didn't soak them, just daubed them with a damp soapy cloth, then wiped the soap off with a damp cloth. I believe this is what the manufacturer recommended.

9. faketrain

faketrain Senior Member

Yes, I have used mild dishwashing liquid on mine to good effect. I didn't soak them, just daubed them with a damp soapy cloth, then wiped the soap off with a damp cloth. I believe this is what the manufacturer recommended.

i took your advice and rinsed with mild soapy water, but after drying, the leather feels a bit harder, looks kind of parched. has anyone tried applying obenauf on peccary leather, or is this a bad idea?

10. KObalto

KObalto Distinguished Member

i took your advice and rinsed with mild soapy water, but after drying, the leather feels a bit harder, looks kind of parched. has anyone tried applying obenauf on peccary leather, or is this a bad idea?

I think they will quickly soften with wear. Mine suffered no ill-effects.