Clean hardwood floors?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by jakejake, May 23, 2010.

1. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

What's the best method to clean hardwood floors? They seem to accumulate dusts so quick.

2. CHenry

CHenry Senior member

What's the best method to clean hardwood floors? They seem to accumulate dusts so quick.

Vacuum and dust with a dry mop or swiffer. Very dirty wood floors can be cleaned with a dilute mild soap like Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water with a sponge.

Check your home air filter. Some places are just prone to lots of dust accumulation: agriculture, pets, lots of people and foot traffic.

3. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Would you recommend the same for laminate flooring?

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Vacuum and dust with a dry mop or swiffer. Very dirty wood floors can be cleaned with a dilute mild soap like Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water with a sponge.

This is what is usually done to my floors when needed.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Check your home air filter. Some places are just prone to lots of dust accumulation: agriculture, pets, lots of people and foot traffic.

+1. i try to do a quick wet swiffer once a week. does wonders. every month or so especially in the winter i'll give it a good mop with murphys

6. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i do a weekly 1-2 punch with these: [​IMG] [​IMG] and a microfiber duster broom for quick dusting

7. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior member

You can dry swiffer, avoid the wet swiffer at all costs. Use a hardwood floor cleaner made by Bona Kemi. Bona makes polyurethanes and coatings for most major hardwood floor manufacturers. I would avoid Murphy's at all costs. If you ever have to have a screen and re-coat done to the floor, Murphy's will cause the polyurethane not to adhere correctly. You will wind up going through a full blown sand and re-finish.

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Bonfa microfiber broom + cleaner solution.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Bonfa microfiber broom + cleaner solution.
    Yes.

10. otc

otc Senior member

I try to avoid wetness on my apartment floors. Unfortunately, the entire unit including the *kitchen* is hardwood.

This requires more frequent mopping that I would do in the rest of the place...but I try to use the most well wrung mop possible so that one side of the kitchen is completely dry by the time I am done mopping the other side.

11. bmf895

bmf895 Senior member

Vinegar and water solution (1:4). It's super cheap, plus it cleans well and is non-toxic. Use a swifter type tool or get on your hands and knees with a rag.

12. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I think what I find works best is mopping without completely soaking the floors and then going over it with a completely dry towel to soak up any water thats still there.

I tried the swiffer with the spray and it leave alot of resedue behind. It's good for a quick wipedown but after a month of this you got a ton of cleaner thats dried to your floor.

13. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

+3 on the Bona (not "Bonfa"). Do not over-wet the floors. This is the biggest mistake people make when cleaning. Moisture will wick between the boards, expand (over time) and create small expansion joints for dirt. Spray the solution directly on the micorfiber mop and go to town. Roomba robot also gets good reviews by those who use it.

14. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

Which B&M stores carry the Bona's? Never heard of them before.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

are you guys talking about white people's wood floors, where they trounce on them with dirty shoes on all day? Or civilized people's wood floors? [​IMG]