• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clean hardwood floors?

jakejake

Reaction score
What's the best method to clean hardwood floors? They seem to accumulate dusts so quick.

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
What's the best method to clean hardwood floors? They seem to accumulate dusts so quick.

Vacuum and dust with a dry mop or swiffer. Very dirty wood floors can be cleaned with a dilute mild soap like Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water with a sponge.

Check your home air filter. Some places are just prone to lots of dust accumulation: agriculture, pets, lots of people and foot traffic.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry
Vacuum and dust with a dry mop or swiffer. Very dirty wood floors can be cleaned with a dilute mild soap like Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water with a sponge.

This is what is usually done to my floors when needed.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry

Check your home air filter. Some places are just prone to lots of dust accumulation: agriculture, pets, lots of people and foot traffic.

+1. i try to do a quick wet swiffer once a week. does wonders. every month or so especially in the winter i'll give it a good mop with murphys

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i do a weekly 1-2 punch with these:
roomba560.jpg
7411895.jpg
and a microfiber duster broom for quick dusting

Lucky7

Reaction score
You can dry swiffer, avoid the wet swiffer at all costs. Use a hardwood floor cleaner made by Bona Kemi. Bona makes polyurethanes and coatings for most major hardwood floor manufacturers. I would avoid Murphy's at all costs. If you ever have to have a screen and re-coat done to the floor, Murphy's will cause the polyurethane not to adhere correctly. You will wind up going through a full blown sand and re-finish.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to avoid wetness on my apartment floors. Unfortunately, the entire unit including the *kitchen* is hardwood.

This requires more frequent mopping that I would do in the rest of the place...but I try to use the most well wrung mop possible so that one side of the kitchen is completely dry by the time I am done mopping the other side.

bmf895

Reaction score
Vinegar and water solution (1:4). It's super cheap, plus it cleans well and is non-toxic. Use a swifter type tool or get on your hands and knees with a rag.

turboman808

Reaction score
I think what I find works best is mopping without completely soaking the floors and then going over it with a completely dry towel to soak up any water thats still there.

I tried the swiffer with the spray and it leave alot of resedue behind. It's good for a quick wipedown but after a month of this you got a ton of cleaner thats dried to your floor.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+3 on the Bona (not "Bonfa"). Do not over-wet the floors. This is the biggest mistake people make when cleaning. Moisture will wick between the boards, expand (over time) and create small expansion joints for dirt. Spray the solution directly on the micorfiber mop and go to town. Roomba robot also gets good reviews by those who use it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
are you guys talking about white people's wood floors, where they trounce on them with dirty shoes on all day? Or civilized people's wood floors?
redface.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads