• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

Oceanlife

Reaction score
So I just used some water proofing spray on my new clark's. What happened is I used too much one area and tried to dab it off and well... http://i.imgur.com/Tt6r73k.jpg

Is there any way I can fix this?

Those looks like the cheaper beeswax leather ones that are being sold now. I sprayed my old ones and they never smudge like that. The new ones mark up by just touching them. I would try to return them.

ascoot

Reaction score
I just bought some beeswax leather db. Wore them once. Took them off and noticed a handful of dark colored scuffs across the shoes. The scuffs don't resemble something like taking your finger and scratching the shoes, it almost looks like someone took a pencil and just drew lines across them. The scuffs are about the size of pencil lines, too. What gives?

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think they came that way? they certainly could have; those marks might be scars in the leather. unsightly on a new pair, but not a structural problem.

if they were there before or you acquired those marks in your first wear, you could also try taking a pencil eraser and rubbing lightly on the mark. it may lighten the leather color a little where you rub, but it also may remove the mark. I've done this on pen marks on leather in the past.

but I will point out that whether removable or not, DBs look best beaten up, and once beaten up, these marks will just be part of the look. In the long run, these marks will be negligible.

sneet

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but alot of the newer desert boots seem to be made with leather that scuffs extremely easily. I have brown desert troopers and I can permanently change the color with my fingernail. At first I was kind of disappointed but as they worn in they've aged beautifully.

ascoot

Reaction score
Do you think they came that way? they certainly could have; those marks might be scars in the leather. unsightly on a new pair, but not a structural problem.

if they were there before or you acquired those marks in your first wear, you could also try taking a pencil eraser and rubbing lightly on the mark. it may lighten the leather color a little where you rub, but it also may remove the mark. I've done this on pen marks on leather in the past.

but I will point out that whether removable or not, DBs look best beaten up, and once beaten up, these marks will just be part of the look. In the long run, these marks will be negligible.

I don't think they came like this, I feel like I surely would have noticed.

I'm not sure if this is a terrible thing to do, but I took my fingernail and lightly scratched the mark and it looks like it comes off. The leather is a bit lighter there where I have scratched. It doesn't like peel off in pieces or anything, so it's not dirt or something, but it appears to come off a bit. It does NOT come off with a cloth and gently rubbing.

themonster

Reaction score
Quit overreacting, its the nature of the beeswax finish. These are beater boots that are very inconsistent. My brother owns a smaller pair with a longer heel than mine.

Oceanlife

Reaction score
Yes, the leather has always been somewhat prone to scratches and the typical wear and tear. However, the newer beeswax leather desert boots will literally change color by dragging your finger across it. To me it's a sign of Clarks trying to cut costs and putting out an inferior product.

bcgr33n

Reaction score

The Burgundy's fit the same as the Beeswax however? Do you have any more recent pics you can post? Really liking the looks of them but can't find anything but stock pictures.

Thanks

havent wore it as much
but another pic after a few more wears

bcgr33n

Reaction score

I was trying to pick between these and a pair of 1000 miles.

I went with the Wolverines but you're starting to make me regret it.

i think you hav made the right choice. i hav the wolverine as well and it is a better made shoe. the shoe is 200% more durable than the DB imo. if i were to choose one only. i will choose the wolverine.
but my wolverine stretched quite significantly and becomes too loose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynanmeldelserno1