• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Weekend conservative business dress....
19.jpg
I teach Italian class on Saturday mornings.[/size]

Puoi farci sapere qualche dettaglio sulla camicia? Mi piace molto il colletto morbido. Bloody hell, I don't even know how to say 'collar roll' in my own language. I don't think I understand the concept (or joke) of weekend conservative business dress, btw.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I think this is a bit unfair towards manton.

As well unfair to most Italians (even Sicilian farmers, esp. on Sundays). I mean within the context of this thread.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Puoi farci sapere qualche dettaglio sulla camicia? Mi piace molto il colletto morbido. Bloody hell, I don't even know how to say 'collar roll' in my own language. I don't think I understand the concept (or joke) of weekend conservative business dress, btw.
Ehi, ragazzi...giusto che volevo mostrare un altro metodo di indossarsi in un modo casuale, ma da allora in più faccio un post solo alle regole del thread. Io sono d'accordo con Manton - questo è un thread che ha un obiettivo particolare. Communque, @radicaldog: the shirt is L.Cratico - you can find 'em cheap in Italy, and the only site I saw that sells them is in Japanese. @venessian: hardly any Sicilian farmer even wears a tie anymore. Strangely enough, vests are far more common, as are hats like these.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked both UC's and Manton's weekend fits. I wouldn't describe either as conservative business dress, although arguably both are 'classic dressing' in different ways.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I liked both UC's and Manton's weekend fits. I wouldn't describe either as conservative business dress, although arguably both are 'classic dressing' in different ways.

Then, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, they shouldn't be posted here. Perhaps we need another manton (or Pacific Rim poasters) curated thread dedicated to classical leisure dress (CLD!).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's Sunday.

Yes, that is the infamous A&S coat that does not fit.

What happened to all of the aggressive wasit supression?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are overanalyzing. Manton's latest would be entirely conservative business dress at most offices these days. Not every post needs to be suit and soporific tie. It's about expressing yourself within the confines of reasonable sobriety and good taste. The sort of stuff that would be fine at a mildly conservative office. But I see no reason to get more literal than that.

I'll get around to posting some sportcoat fits sometime soon. They just won't be some of my crazier notions.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Then, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, they shouldn't be posted here. Perhaps we need another manton (or Pacific Rim poasters) curated thread dedicated to classical leisure dress (CLD!).

No. Please see my sig and the extensive explanations posted in this thread.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
What happened to all of the aggressive wasit supression?

Still there, the coat has not been altered at all. Yet another reminder of how hard it is to judge clothing from photos.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very good point. It also looks like the shoulders are more extended than when you originally posted it.

elgreco

Reaction score
No. Please see my sig and the extensive explanations posted in this thread.

Let me qualify: UC's weekend fit does not strike me as the type of broad-scope conservative business dress that has been defined within this thread. Your weekend fit was quite conservative business dress.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cbd_032111_01.jpg
cbd_032111_02.jpg

cbd_032111_03.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pand, I would ditch the clip, or else move it down somewhat and give it an angle. It's distracting as it is.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pand, I would ditch the clip, or else move it down somewhat and give it an angle. It's distracting as it is.

I disagree with ditching the clip, but I agree that angling it would look better. It's a bit too eye-catching right now. Distracts from the rest of the fit.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I disagree with ditching the clip, but I agree that angling it would look better. It's a bit too eye-catching right now. Distracts from the rest of the fit.

And, what good does angling it have? It still sticks out and commands attention. I used to beg Pand to ditch these clips (and he even obliged me for a few fits), but they are back in force. I guess they are somewhat essential to the '60s aesthetic. I don't dislike tie clips in general, but I think they are best reserved for occassional use.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads