1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

greg, that is a great shirt collar and you tone the pattern down really well with the tie and suit. Not crazy about the shoe style/color but i have moved into Manton's "old man" camp where I have moved away from U last and it's ilk and going for more rounder toes.

something that I think some people here don't get is how to not overdue patterns/colors, some here would have paired that with a wild tie, patterned suit etc etc.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sounds much better than white.
    I don't know that it's better. Objectively, it's likely that white linen would be the best square for this outfit from a pure aesthetics POV. However, I feel that white linen says "serious business" and I was not in the mood for that statement. So I went with something which may be slightly less perfect but that matched the formality level I was going for.

Not crazy about the shoe style/color but i have moved into Manton's "old man" camp where I have moved away from U last and it's ilk and going for more rounder toes.
    Yes it seems like many here have gone through that cycle - I'm still a big fan of U, 888 and 8000. I'm also a fan of rounder but still sleek toes. I don't find them mutually exclusive - it all depends on the overall look and finding the right balance.

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I also like the bold shirt. Reminds me of drafting paper I used to have.
    Details?

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like those moghul squares. I have one in wool and a four pack in cotton. It's too cold still for cotton for me to wear.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

something that I think some people here don't get is how to not overdue patterns/colors, some here would have paired that with a wild tie, patterned suit etc etc.

+ 1 million

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wow. What a difference. These two pics should be required review for all SF posters.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Dipping my toe into this thread. Today's fit - I think it's CBD, but is is it interesting enough?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navy suit: Brook Taverner (bought before weight loss - probably needs a little waisting if I can find a tailor)
    Shirt: Baulmer (Dbl/French cuffed - probably more common than single cuffs for business on this side of the pond)
    Tie: Turnbull & Asser (I like the way it looks purple at a distance, and different close up - others may disagree)
    PS: Lehner (I'm with Hardy Amies on white PS's and only wear them with white shirts (or shirts containing significant white)).
    Shoes: Cheaney 'Hockney' (Whilst I believe there are still some London firms that would frown upon brown shoes, I think they can be considered CBD in most businesses).

not only is this CBD enough, it looks good, and it trims 20 pounds off you and adds 4 inches. I like it

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

greg, that is a great shirt collar and you tone the pattern down really well with the tie and suit. Not crazy about the shoe style/color but i have moved into Manton's "old man" camp where I have moved away from U last and it's ilk and going for more rounder toes.

+1 I've found myself more opt to pick something from the subdued tie thread than WAYWT, I just embrace the boring these days.

I still like sleek lasted shoes but also like the round toes like a Darlton Penny loafer.

9. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I like this thread! Lot's of good dialog going on to learn from...having said that still too chicken to poast any of my fits here [​IMG]

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I think Orgetorix can pretty much rule this thread day in, day out.

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A bit too much going on here.

It looks fine from a distance but up close it appears a bit busy. Now, the patterns, in terms of scale and differentiation, are combined quite well. I think I am put off by my dislike of the square and tie. The former I just don't like. The latter is better, but I have a general prejudice against all but the simplest paisleys and most red ties. I am just not a big fan of the way this all mixes together.

That same suit and shirt with a silver or gold (dull) or yellow or pale, pale green tie would be killer.

With a different square.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I don't know that it's better. Objectively, it's likely that white linen would be the best square for this outfit from a pure aesthetics POV. However, I feel that white linen says "serious business" and I was not in the mood for that statement. So I went with something which may be slightly less perfect but that matched the formality level I was going for.
    I was probably at too impressionable an age when I read Hardy Amies [​IMG] I tend to agree with him that unless there is reasonable amount of white in the shirt, a white PS can stand out too starkly. Don't tell Foo, but I'm increasingly using a cream silk square when I want something non-showy and not wearing a shirt with a heavy white content.

not only is this CBD enough, it looks good, and it trims 20 pounds off you and adds 4 inches. I like it

Thanks, although I think that might be the recent weightloss, rather than the suit [​IMG]

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great thread. Great discussions.

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Ah what the hell. As my style has been progressing more towards, what I understand as CBD, I figured I might as well drop a fit or two in here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

A bit too much going on here.

It looks fine from a distance but up close it appears a bit busy. Now, the patterns, in terms of scale and differentiation, are combined quite well. I think I am put off by my dislike of the square and tie. The former I just don't like. The latter is better, but I have a general prejudice against all but the simplest paisleys and most red ties. I am just not a big fan of the way this all mixes together.

That same suit and shirt with a silver or gold (dull) or yellow or pale, pale green tie would be killer.

With a different square.

I'll agree regarding the square. I find the tie works well with the suit though - old school American style.

17. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Old Dog - one of your best fitting jackets in my opinion. Looks cozy.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

re: olddog - I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

re: pandarts - the color of these brown shoes is a couple tinges too light for a charcoal suit and the rest of the outfit. Square looks like a match to the shirt (at least from where the photo was taken). Tie is the right color IMO but it looks a bit cheap (twill satin?)

re: orgetorix - agree with Manton. I really do not like that tie though. I do like the shirt. Something about the shirt collar spread and tie knot does not work very well with body and face proportions but I can't quite put my finger on it

20. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

In some cases I think it is bargain hunting that leads to the excess of odd colors and patterns.

Manton, I am enjoying your feedback. Thanks for sharing your expertise. I am always impressed that you can be comprehensive and, at the same time, consistent in your various opinions.